jardini and wyckii comm possible?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hi all, I'm new to this in a way, I've been reading on here and plenty of other forums since I was 10, I'm now 15. Over the years I've gained the basic knowledge of a lot of oddballs. Right now I have a 120 gallon with a artc which is approaching 2ft faster than I thought. From what I've read they slow down after a foot but he hasn't, I'd say an inch every 2 months (visually looking at the distance between him and the ends of the tank front to back). I have him with a pacu that's about 20 inches and a leporinus about a foot and a pleco about 14 inches. My plan is to get rid of the catfish and pacu . They've outgrown it obviously. I've read from people that have kept many wyckiis for years that you can keep a wyckii in a 120 for life. A jardini from my understanding grows 4 inches short of the max size of the wyckii. They've said that the wyckii doesn't attack fish that aren't on the bottom and that they don't normally attack until the fish comes close. I have plenty of drift wood for multiple hiding spots and visual separation from the leporinus. Though I doubt the wyckii can catch him seeing as that's the only reason the artc hasn't devoured him yet. I have a small power head for a little bit a current. My questions are
1. Do you think they will bother each other once over a foot?
2. Are their temperatures and water chemistry similar enough to cohab?
3. Should I accept what I've read as the rule? (I don't think so seeing as how, no offense to anyone, those who I see say wyckiis are a specimen only fish haven't actually kept them and those that have said that kept them aren't much more than the few people I've read who've kept multiple wyckiis in communities).

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
All they will say is your tank is to small...I had a 2 foot siler aro that was attacking my two stingrays in a 200 gallon..

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
What about in something larger? Do you think it would be possible in something like 6x3x2 (LxWxH)?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Your problem is tank size but I think it could work with enough space , I've had cats with all my jardini they generally get left alone as long as they're not snack sized (they do get the odd nip but nothing major )
Wyckii are very aggressive cats but people do have them in community's check out justarns he's got his in with a Midas community but its a 300g tank , I'd say long term the smallest tank to house these and keep aggression to a minimum would be 6x3x2 like you mentioned , jardini are also very aggressive fish so if you do manage to find a placid wyckii the chances are the jar won't be (or vise versa ) again people have trouble housing jars with tankmates but I've always managed it not without deaths and casualties though , you have to introduce them to each other as young / small as possible without taking a gamble you'll never know if they get on ;):D
Just have a net , divider and time to fish sit first few days just in case carnage breaks out

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
So maybe the set up will have to wait for the future lol, but thank you for the replies, do you think I can do just the wyckii or disregard that statement I have read? Even if it had to be an only fish I'm fine with that, I like the simplicity of it.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
What about a hoplias curupira? I've never read of one over 16 inches. And maybe a Mala too? I've seen people put them together. Should I open a new thread?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Putting them together will probably result in the same in a 120 , a wolf would be more suited to that tank size as a solo wet pet than the jardini as they don't get as big and are no where near as active
With regards to the wyckii I've never kept one but I'd imagine it'll still be a little cramped in a 120 once full grown (and they grow pretty quick ) it'll find it hard turning around etc
Hope this helps :)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Ok thanks. I'm going to start a new thread and get more opinions, I had a mala at about 13 inches but when the artc was about 16 inches he took a huge chunk out of its back one night and it ended up dieing he killed that and a pictus catfish I had that was 12 inches another pictus that was about 8 inches and ate two convicts I wanted to get rid of lol he's awesome just to large now

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Evil :D my last jardini's hit list was large also cost me a fortune in silly gambles lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store