There has to be an easier way!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So I currently have 8 tanks up and running with the smallest being a 60 gallon and the largest being a 180 gallon. I have been doing water changes weekly or bi weekly with a 5 GALLON BUCKET! I'm only 17 and I already have back problems related to other things. Anyway I am needing an easier way to change water. I usually drain the water however many gallons/percent I need to drain with a siphon to the backyard. That's the easy part. The hard part is filling each bucket and walking to where each of my tanks are and treating the water in the bucket then pouring it in the tank. Is there a simpler way to fill the tanks that won't introduce my fish to untreated tap water and save my back lol. Really need some help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have well water, so I don't need to do any water treatment, but when I was on city water I would just directly filled the tank with hose and poured in the conditioner as the tank is filling up. I know a lot of people who do the same thing with no issues.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
python system...I can't justify spending 60 bucks on a piece of flex tubing and a valve though so im making my own, but makes a world of difference I imagine.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Pond or sump pump with a hose attached (I use clear tubing, but more $) run out the window or down the drain - Use a hose attached to the sink faucet for filling back up.

The ONLY work you will have to do, is whatever you want to do with the tank itself - and moving the pump/hose/tubing before and after.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So adding the water directly from the tap. For instance using a python attached to the sink would it be best to add treatment before or after the water is added. The main concern is introducing
contaminated tap water. My house had a water softener system installed which supposedly removes chlorine and heavy metals but I ain't trusting it. And as long as there are no negative affects towards the fish of adding water treatment this way then I think the easiest and best option that suits me would be a python. I had the version made by aqueon but I always used the sink connection to fill buckets near my tank to then add water to my tank from the buckets lol XD the Barrel idea is good but not sure I'd have room for them.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
So adding the water directly from the tap. For instance using a python attached to the sink would it be best to add treatment before or after the water is added. The main concern is introducing
contaminated tap water. My house had a water softener system installed which supposedly removes chlorine and heavy metals but I ain't trusting it. And as long as there are no negative affects towards the fish of adding water treatment this way then I think the easiest and best option that suits me would be a python. I had the version made by aqueon but I always used the sink connection to fill buckets near my tank to then add water to my tank from the buckets lol XD the Barrel idea is good but not sure I'd have room for them.

I would just add the dechlorinator right as the water is refilling the tank. If you don't already know, use Seachem Safe, its the same as Prime in powder form at a fraction of the price

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Python if it'll work with your sink. I feel you man, I'm 15 and have lower back problems and I'm using 5G buckets to fill all 9 of my tanks because not one sink in my house will hook up to a python.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I'm with Shookones: I use 1" ID tubing to drain my tanks into a 50 gallon brute trashcan (which is on wheels). I then drain the trashcan into a tub with the same hose, and refill that trashcan with a python so I can treat the water before I add it to the tank. I do still have to use a 5 gallon bucket, but that's just when I'm scooping water out of the trash can.

Overall, it's much easier than the multiple bucket system I utilized prior to purchasing the 50 gallon trash can. The only improvement left to make is to buy a cheap pump to use to pump water out of the bucket so I don't need the buckets at all anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store