Do hybrids get uglier as they grow?

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
Hi all,

We all know rays can change drastically from pup to adulthood. I'm thinking of picking up a unique hybrid pup and I heard from a prominent breeder that if it has Marbled or Motoro as part of the mix (if the rest are Leo, Pearl, BD), I can expect the ray to get "uglier" as it grows. Why would this be true? There are some serious stunning Marbles out there so not sure why this would be the case.

What are your thoughts?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I don't think this breeder knows what he's talking about or he is just trying to sell you higher priced bd

I have seen bd x motoro that look just like bd as adults

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Depends on the parentage and the individual fish. You never know what you are going to end up with as hybrids can change so much as they grow.
Here is a pic of my hybrid as a 5" pup and then a pic of her almost 2 years later at around 20" disc. One thing i have noticed is my hybrid has grown quicker than any pure blood ray i own.
2013-09-03-438.jpgBubbles sept 2014.jpg

2013-09-03-438.jpg

Bubbles sept 2014.jpg

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Your right Jim they do grow super fast

Both mine have taken a few months to find feet and feeding great but once they are on their way they grow super fast

Even pure bloods change all the time my p14 was still getting spots at 5-6 years old

The fast growth may mean later development who knows

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I'm wondering if fast growth actually means the future pattern can be affected and not in a good way. For example I would love my hybrid to have kept the bigger spots but they have split and in some cases look smudged and so look messy .
When she was a pup she had a really sharp pattern but has lost that as she has grown and grown REALLY quickly. Almost as though her pattern has stretched rather than grow with her if you know what I mean.
The BD have grown steadily in the same time frame, one female slower than the other and she has ended up looking the better female.

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
Depends on the parentage and the individual fish. You never know what you are going to end up with as hybrids can change so much as they grow.
Here is a pic of my hybrid as a 5" pup and then a pic of her almost 2 years later at around 20" disc. One thing i have noticed is my hybrid has grown quicker than any pure blood ray i own.
View attachment 1042346View attachment 1042347
Very interesting. She still looks great but she was a stunner as a pup. What mix is she Jim?

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
I'm wondering if fast growth actually means the future pattern can be affected and not in a good way. For example I would love my hybrid to have kept the bigger spots but they have split and in some cases look smudged and so look messy .
When she was a pup she had a really sharp pattern but has lost that as she has grown and grown REALLY quickly. Almost as though her pattern has stretched rather than grow with her if you know what I mean.
The BD have grown steadily in the same time frame, one female slower than the other and she has ended up looking the better female.

You could be on to something there Jim, after all humans get stretch marks on there skin so same could sort of happen to the markings on a ray with fast growth.

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store