Mag1800 and 1 inch output?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I have a mag 1800, i rigged it so I have an adapter so I can use 1 inch pipe for the output. The pump comes with a 3/4 inch male adapter. Got me thinking, is it meant to run 3/4 inch output tubing? Is making it run 1 inch enhancing or deterring the gph output and filtration? Thanks.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
I have a mag 1800, i rigged it so I have an adapter so I can use 1 inch pipe for the output. The pump comes with a 3/4 inch male adapter. Got me thinking, is it meant to run 3/4 inch output tubing? Is making it run 1 inch enhancing or deterring the gph output and filtration? Thanks.

Depends on the amount of head, bigger pipe with higher head will increase head pressure lowering gph. More water in the pipes= more head pressure. If it's short runs it can reduce pressure increasing gph. With 3/4 to 1" your not going to notice much either way.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay. It's at 6 feet of head right now. In the new house sump will be one level under, was going to build a 4 foot stand but now debating 6 foot tall. But i think we're looking at a 10-12 foot head at the new place. I will be running two of those mag 1800s, one with a long head then another because it will be to the side of the tank too. Do I need to upgrade pumps?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Just found an online copy of their instructions. It says a size of 1.5" must be used for maximum output... why start it at 3/4" then? more efficient to reduce rather than enlarge, maybe I'm wrong on that. 1.5 seems huge tbh, with an 8 foot head the chart indicated 1050 gph. I will probably have closer to 10 feet, wonder how that will effect the gph when considering the 1.5" tubing? Looks like I really should build a really tall stand and try to keep the sump closer to the ceiling, will such for maintenance though.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Adapted to fit 1.5 inch tubing based on recommendation of the pump directions. Hopefully with the loss of gph output it will make a difference, just don't get why it wouldn't have a 1.5" output to begin with, easier to reduce it. would adding a powerhead offset the loss of gph from output pumps you think??

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
You want to use a 1.5" pipe, bassguy actually has it backwards. 3/4" and 1" pvc will reduce the gph, 1.5" will maximize your gph for the pump. Many, many people use piping that is much too small for their pumps. The reason a larger pipe is better is due to friction. A large pipe has a much larger capacity, for example a 2" pipe can handle quite a bit more than double the flow of a 1" pipe. I dont know the exact numbers off the top of my head but it is a huge margin.

In any case, 1.5" does seem huge, that is a big pipe. On my 93 gal I'm in the process of setting up my pump also calls for a 1.5" pipe. I did downsize to 1". Little less flow but a bit more manageable and easier to hide everything.

As to why they include a 3/4" adapter, I dont have a clue. Seems kind of silly to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store