VERY HARD TAP WATER

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
Hey, Ive been keeping chiclids/odballs for a while now. I recently started to test GH/KH my reading were off the charts at 14 drops for GH and 9 drops for KH using api test kit. I realized that my tap water is very hard and every water change raises my levels. I looked at the api water filter but, I have a 180 gallon fish tank and it filter water fast enough. Does anyone know what I should use to filter my water? Should I buy a reverse osmosis filter? HELP!

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Unless you are keeping fish that require softer water, I wouldn't worry about those levels.

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
If levels are raising your water changes are insufficent. Doing larger % per wc should see it dropping. We had very hard water at my parents and kept rays, spiney eels, gar, and other oddballs.. Not an issue if anything they where never healthier.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I don't see why you can't use the API if it filters fast enough.
personally, I'd just stick to the harder water fishes. messing with water parameters like that can be a pain.
you could collect rainwater and split your water changes to half tap and half rain.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Unless you see it directly affecting your fish, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Most fish are quite adaptive and will adjust to the water params they're in. As long as your fish look healthy I wouldn't change a thing

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store