Customize Aqueon 55/75 or Emperors with Fluval/Aquaclear media?

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
I started looking at an additional method of water movement for my 55g. I have an AC110, which is great, but it's on the left side of the tank and I'd like to get a bit more water flow on the right side. It was also 85 bucks, so while I'd love to just get another 110, I'd rather go for a cheaper but still effective route.

I seen some powerheads and koralia pumps for up to 30 bucks that would get the job done, but I also found some of the cheaper HOB filters on amazon (like emperors and aqueons) for a similar price. I figured what the hell, if I'm going to spend 30 either way, I might as well get some extra filtration which wont hurt at all.

That brings me to my question. I'm not a fan at all of cartridges in HOB filters, and also not familiar with emperors and aqueons (more specifically the space available in the filter box). Is it possible to just stuff a bunch of biomax or matrix into these filters and still get good flow rates/filtration?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
The 55/75 is my favorite filter of all time of all time!

Its cheap! $30 at my lfs. 400gph @ 14 watts. The biggest benefit is the motor is submerged. No priming. Just unplug it before a huge water change. No problem. The pick up tube also telescopes. It'll fit a smaller tank like a 40 breeder tank. Or itll hang on a 75g.

uploadfromtaptalk1413355187252.jpg
This is how mine are now with pothos.

uploadfromtaptalk1413355279101.jpg
The bioholsters fit any poly pad. Just cut to fit. You win.

uploadfromtaptalk1413355333278.jpg
Here is one I set up with a side full of biomax. This was my bio centered filter of the pair. I put a pond prefilter on the intake for mechanical filtration. I also replaced the biogrid thing with bioballs but later put the factory piece back In due to noise.

Either way you can stuff biomax behind the pads. I have it in small filter bags.

The blue tray on the ourflow mimics the wet dry aspect of a bioball type media. Not sure how effective it is but it diffuses the flow excellently.

I've had one of mine on this tank for 3 years, the other is much newer. honestly I cant tell the diffence which is which.

They are actually pretty quiet. The water level has to be correct so the outflow doesnt splash around on the surface.

Love em. Cheap and hard to kill. Sure there are better filters out there, but not at $30

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
Interesting, and thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for.

It does look like there is plenty of room for me to stuff a couple bags of biomax in there. I use the Fluval Edge pre-filter on my AC110 currently, so I could just get another for the Aqueon.

You are right on the price. I was iffy on the AC110 @ 90+ (cheapest online is 80 bucks) and loved it, but seeing Aqueons for that cheap even at a petsmart (about 35 there, or 25-30 online) is too hard to pass up.

Are you familiar with the aquaclear/fluval biomax bags like these? Any idea which size and how many could probably fit in there? I'm thinking of just going to petsmart and grabbing everything there instead of waiting online.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I am not familiar. I have stuffed a few small ones from an Aquaclear20 before.

I have mine in a basket I made from gutter guard and zipties.

In one filter behind the pads I have the factory mesh bag from a broken ac110 loosly packed with biomax. its not a nice filter bag, it looks like something You'd buy oranges in at the grocery store if you know what I mean.

I liked my ac110 but they are horribly overpriced and made feom TERRIBLE quality plastic.

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
I am not familiar. I have stuffed a few small ones from an Aquaclear20 before.

I have mine in a basket I made from gutter guard and zipties.

In one filter behind the pads I have the factory mesh bag from a broken ac110 loosly packed with biomax. its not a nice filter bag, it looks like something You'd buy oranges in at the grocery store if you know what I mean.

I liked my ac110 but they are horribly overpriced and made feom TERRIBLE quality plastic.

Ah, ok. I'll look for 20 or 50s then. Does that AC110 bag fit flat on the bottom of the case, or do you have to really stuff it down? Trying to figure out how many bags I can fit in there.

I agree on the AC. I own nothing but aquaclears (4 of them, 3 50s and 1 110), and still believe they are the greatest HOB, but the price for what you get is a real turn off.

I put biomax in all my hobs. I just cut open the bags and dump it in the filters chamber.
Interesting. Doesn't that make maintenance on them a bit of a hassle with all the ceramic rings/noodles just being loose? No decrease in flow rate?

I use sponge and felt in my emperor.
Good to know they have the room for it in case I go for one in the future.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Looking at it right now it appears that if you remove the cartridges you should be able to fit a large media bag in there. I have to "stuff" mine in only because im still running cartridges.

Dunno if that helps.

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
Looking at it right now it appears that if you remove the cartridges you should be able to fit a large media bag in there. I have to "stuff" mine in only because im still running cartridges.

Dunno if that helps.

Helps a lot, thanks!

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
55/75's are almost un killable as well if it ever has trouble starting poke the impeller with something while its on it will kick right on. (had some java moss and sand issues from early set ups....) But I run 4 of them on 3 tanks at the moment as well as several of the smaller versions. Actually been considering modifying one of mine to run an over head sump still working on that though :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store