Ansorgii or Ansorgii hybrid?

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Since posting a pic of this little fellow in predatorkeeper87 's thread, I've been questioning his lineage. He was in a tank labelled "Guinean Bichir", which I interpreted as a Guinean lap rather than ansorgii.

Any thoughts from the more experienced variant keepers?

Thanks,
O

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Thanks Khapham. After you posted on the other thread I started searching and concluded this one has ansorgii in him, but I'm in no way qualified to determine if he is a hybrid or CB ansorgii.

O

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
+1 on hybrid. There's slight resemblance to my ansorgii but definitely doesn't look 100% ansorgii

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks. Are you aware if there is much of a size difference between cb ansorgii and a cb endli hybrid?

I'm digging this fish either way, and really looking forward to see it develop.

O

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
Thanks. Are you aware if there is much of a size difference between cb ansorgii and a cb endli hybrid?

I'm digging this fish either way, and really looking forward to see it develop.

O
Not much of the size diff. They'll all grow to 18"+ for sure! But ansorgiis seem to grow wayyyyy slower than any other bichirs... That's the only bad thing about them..

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I agree with kha again. Regardless it'll still grow big but I've never kept a hybrid and my current ansorgii is the only 1 I've owned. It's about 12-13" right now. I've had it since February or March this year and it was about 6-7" so in 8 months it grew around 5-6" but all the endli's I've owned have grown from tiny 1-2" worms to about 14" in the same amount of time so expect the growth to be somewhere in between.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store