Australian Arowanas, Communitys, and You

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
So i am hoping that this could be a strictly informative thread that can pull upon all the knowledge, fails and successes, of australian arowanas in communities. This will maybe enable us to find a minimum setup that has a good success rate so others can decide if they want to try it. These are the question i thought of:

1. Fail or Success
2. Type of arowana (jardini or leichardti)
3. Habitat (tank, pond, or something else)
4. Size of habitat (of the above tank/pond)
5. When was the arowana introduced (formerly established tank-by arowana or by others, new setup- all fish at once)
6. Size of arowana when introduced.
7. Fish community (size/type)
8. Arowana Diet (live- fish or whatever it maybe, frozen, pellets)

If there was anything else noticed that is note worthy (maybe top water current, temp, decore, or other factors played a role one way or the other)
Once again hopefully this can stay on track as an informative thread based on observation. Once there is enough info i will pull everything together.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Ive kept jardini for around 8/9 years in total I kept one for six of those years and it grew to 24 " from a 3" tiddler :D , I've always kept my jardini with tankmates , catfish work well , I've also had success with birchirs as long as there big enough not to be eaten , hardy cichlids work also but they need to stand up for themselves and I've found a big mouth helps to so this (jag , dovii ) if you give them a pipe or hide to defend they will hold there own
Many people have jardini with tankmates some strike lucky and get a placid one but most don't its always a gamble unfortunately , I've had many tankmates killed by jardini including lots of cichlids , rtc , wolffish there not fussy :banghead::D , if you introduce them early you stand more chance , any silver tankmates can only be ditherers IMO.
As for diet I've always fed pellet once trained off live , also muscles , raw prawn (shrimp ) whitebait
If it will only eat live try stay away from live fish this only promotes aggression , give earthworms , mealworms , crickets a try at first then start to gut load mealworms pellets to get them used to the taste.
IMO the ideal tank size would be 6x2x2 ( but obviously bigger is always better and will help limit aggression )
My current one is in a 5x2x2 but will be upgrading within the next year once I move (no room in current house for monster tanks :()
Hope this helps you out and your decisions :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't understand what you are trying to find out, but here goes.
I had a Jardini through most of the 90's from a fry until the tank sprung a leak at about 21". It was not aware it was a badass as the internet wasn't here yet so I kept it with Discus and various catfish. It was hand fed from a baby and nothing gave my 3 year old daughter more pleasure then having it shrd her fingers bloody feeding it shrimp and grasshoppers.
Now I have a Leichardti since Jan of 2013. Currently 22-23" and is also very mild mannered. Never fed live. I have hand fed it from a fry also. It is currently in a too small 5X2X2 but it's new 6X5X2.5 will be ready by mid November. Currently housed with an Mbu puffer, Tigrinus, Ornate bichir and Giraffe cat.

Reactions: Rojo1991
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store