Advice please

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Situation: moving fish from 57g established tank, to a 90g in a few weeks.
I have a fluval U4 running, and a 260gph rated wet/dry system running overhead. I've also got a sponge filter that's pretty massive.

Stock is 2 blood parrots, convict, acara, and couple of dithers. My question is, I want to move media over to the new tank already seeded, so i don't have to cycle.

Plan is to have a fluval 406 and 2 sponges in the new tank, but I'm wondering if it would be best to turn off the wet dry filter, in order to maximise the bacteria colony in the two sponges and fluval to then be moved over. Does this make sense? Like just now I imagine the bacterial colony is spread somewhat evenly across the filters, but I want to concentrate them on the ones I'm moving I.e sponge and U4.

The 90 will have a (baby) Oscar, convict and Blood parrot so I'd say there shouldn't be a big strain on filtration. Right now I'm thinking switch off the wet dry, but hit me with some truth bullets people.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Your bio cultures don't really care how many filters you are running. What thins, or grows the culture is directly related to the bio load they have available to consume. To keep everything growing and loaded, you might add some cheap feeder guppies to push bio load. All the better if they get eaten later too. I often use feeders as sacrificial tank cyclers when setting up a new tank environment. Those that die off as the tank cycles did their jobs, those that survive become food for the bigger fishies.

Turning off any kind of filter allows the cultures to starve and die. I can't imagine letting a functioning cycled filter culture just die.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store