Help with stock list!

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Well I am getting to the point where I can't stand being out of the hobby anymore so I have been thinking about starting with some baby monsters. I am 19 now and my girlfriend and I are considering moving out in a year or two here so I don't want to go too big because I have limited space. I don't want to run into the problem I ran into with my rays which caused my wanting to get out of the hobby. I figured if I couldn't have my Rays I didn't want anything. Well now I can't take not having a tank so it's time to get back into things I think? I am looking to have get a 125 gallon. J want to get some baby monsters that will grow slowly enough as to not outgrow a 125 within the next couple of years. I also want to just start buying Ray safe stuff now because eventually I will get Rays again. I have a couple things in mind but am looking for help. So here is what I have in mind: 5 indo dats 2"-3", 8 clown loaches 2"-3", a flagtail prochildus 3"-4". Now I know the flagtail isn't Ray safe but he can be in the 125 for a while. What does everyone else have in mind? I eventually would like a couple tiger fish? Not goliaths as I believe that there is a species of tiger fish that only hits like 24"? I don't want to get them now as I believe that tiger fish grow relatively quickly correct? I am open to pretty much anything Ray safe that grows slow enough to be kept with the others over the next couple of years. I posted this in the other characins section but I figured since I would like Ray safe stuff I would like more opinions from Ray guys as well. Thankyou in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Nice to see you back. Your list seems fine just a matter of taste. Dats and clown loaches grow slowly. Flagtails grow fast and as you know may potentially be an issue. Tiger fish are great but in my experience grow quickly so maybe better wait on them. They can be a little flighty.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hard to be wihout once you have had a tank!
How about a couple of Birchers.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hard to be wihout once you have had a tank!
How about a couple of Birchers.
They kind of scare me as I have heard horror stories and have seen pics of them biting Rays eyes... I love endlis but it scares me to think that they could bite one of my Rays eyes...

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I have an endi and ornate both around 16" plus. No probs with rays but rays are big and tank is big 9x4x2

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
I have an endi and ornate both around 16" plus. No probs with rays but rays are big and tank is big 9x4x2
Hmmm I would love to have an endli or two! They look awesome to me, it just scares me when I had my Rays I remember reading the discussions of them being ray safe or not and it always seemed to be a shaky topic some had success some not. I will certainly consider it! Are there any midwater/upper water fish that you can think of? I love dats and tiger fish but the tiger fish have to wait unfortunately. I can only get the slow growers for now which is good because then hopefully when I am ready for Rays again the slow growers may be of a size that will take them off the menu. I was thinking of black bar silver dollars possibly as they will make good dithers and will give the tank some motion? My ultimate goal is to have a tank similar to one of the predator comm tanks you see on YouTube. I love the large predators in a bare tank. I want my fish to be what you're looking at not the background objects that they are swimming around.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I have rays with all types of bichirs as well as a big flagtail...Never any problems but I may just be lucky.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store