300 gallon mild steel "L"

rotaryblake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
Red Deer
haha didnt mean for that to happen... anyways, starting to build my aquarium for downstairs, it is going to be built fully out of mild steel (HSS frame and plate interior). I just picked up a used 135g and tore it apart, the front and back of that aquarium will be the viewing panels for this new guy. I will try to keep updating on a regular basis but I have a baby on the way and work is picking so I am not %100 when this project will be all wrapped up. I am hoping to finish up sometime early in the new year.

Here's some pic's of the top and bottom being put together:

rotaryblake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
Red Deer
Hey Top Dog, I've been in touch with Pond Armor regarding their Pond Shield Epoxy, from what I've been told it sounds like it will do a pretty good job at coating the steel as long as a good quality self-etching primer is used before the epoxy. They also said that their product is compatible with aquarium grade silicone, which makes my glass installation that much easier!

rotaryblake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
Red Deer
So I got a little more work done, just a few more hours and I should be good to start the sheeting. I forgot to mention on my first couple posts that the "L" will be fit up as one piece but split into two pieces for ease of moving into the basement. The size and weight would have made it difficult and I didn't want to weld this whole project together inside the house. You can see in the pics below where the frame has been doubled up, that's where it will split.

Split the top and bottom, welded them out.

Got most of the uprights in, just need to put one centred on each end wall.

View from the Back

Doubled up section where the tank will be split in two.

rotaryblake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
Red Deer
Thanks guys, I got a little more done last night, Ill post pics tonight. Hoping to have the sheet metal in by the end of the week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store