what is really the definition of nightcrawlers?

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
lol already been in the fishkeeping for quiet a long time but still do not know what a nightcrawler is.. xD i thought nightcrawlers suppose to be bugs tht came out at night to the lamps but recently some said tht it is a worm... lol what is it actually?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
They are large earthworms, Lumbricus terrestris.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I always thought that nightcrawlers were the barflies who never got picked up and crawled out of the bars at closing time. LOL!
Actually the worms crawl out of the ground at night (especially after the rain). They mate above ground and then make their way back into the soil.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
ouhh... thanks guys :) ouuhh, i usually see tht worm when i go dig out some earthworms. i thought they were too wriggly and too thick to be given to fish lol actually, im kinda scared handling those worms.. which is better? nightcrawlers or earthworms? i mean, which i more nutritious? can i give it to my 7" endli.. he's been eating earthworms all this time.. lol

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
here in WA they are harvested from golf courses. they dump i do not know what and it causes them to come up at night. Or so a grounds keeper for a golf course tells me. Not something I have any experience with.

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
The only species of worms my fish resfuse to eat are red wigglers or compost worms.. The scientific name eludes me atm... But people swear by them! But mine never eat them! I just chop up big worms.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Slightly off topic but I saw a guy do something like this this summer and I couldnt believe the way nightcrawlers just flowed from the ground. http://youtu.be/G9HguyXRHr8

Say im digging a hole. The worms I come across are they earthworms or nightcrawlers? Are there any ways to tell them apart other than size? (which I have no idea where earthworm ends and nightcrawler begins)

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
Slightly off topic but I saw a guy do something like this this summer and I couldnt believe the way nightcrawlers just flowed from the ground. http://youtu.be/G9HguyXRHr8

Say im digging a hole. The worms I come across are they earthworms or nightcrawlers? Are there any ways to tell them apart other than size? (which I have no idea where earthworm ends and nightcrawler begins)
Not sure if this is what it is called but there is another way people harvest worms. i think it is called worm grunting. They hammer a thinish long wooden board in the ground and rub another board over the top. You know you are doing it right when a grunting noise starts. but the vibrations make the worms come to the top.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
here in WA they are harvested from golf courses. they dump i do not know what and it causes them to come up at night. Or so a grounds keeper for a golf course tells me. Not something I have any experience with.
I would strongly recommend not using worms from golf courses. My college job was groundskeeper at a golf course and I used to spray tons of chemicals on the course. Pesticides, specific herbicides, fungicides, etc. I'm sure the worms absorb these chemicals.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store