Positive id faranah lap or dabola?

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Been lookin at some pics and I'm starting to question if this bichir is a faranah lapradei ... That's what it was purchased as but all these dabola pics I been lookin at a lot if dabola markings look like this bichirs and I don't feel like it's marking look like laps especially when it's sitting next to my Nigerian lap also iv never seen a lap that is mostly grey base... Any way some if u pros out there let me no what I have ... Also the head looks so big cause he has a mouth full of tilapia lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Nice looking farahna lap. -- Farahna markings look nothing like nigerian lap markings. I have 4 farahna laps and all have different markings and all have different color hues...... actually one has gray markings while the other 3 have different hues of green. I think toyin at one point sold this same bichir as farahna sp. He also sells a farahna sp. "Dabola Type" which have "unbroken" lateral markings found in the same collection point hence the name FARAHNA.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Nice looking farahna lap. -- Farahna markings look nothing like nigerian lap markings. I have 4 farahna laps and all have different markings and all have different color hues...... actually one has gray markings while the other 3 have different hues of green. I think toyin at one point sold this same bichir as farahna sp. He also sells a farahna sp. "Dabola Type" which have "unbroken" lateral markings found in the same collection point hence the name FARAHNA.
I knew it was a faranah was just unsure of dabola or lap since I seen dabolas with patterns just like mine ... So I'm guessing the one I have is broken stripes not full stripes correct?
Whether it's lap or dabola it is prob the nicest bichir I have at the moment color wise .... Good to no it is a lap tho I have heard that b4 about the faranah laps about none of them looking the same they r always different I guess that's y I never seen one tht looks like this one lol .... Thx fram I apriciate the info :)

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Can u post a pic of your grey faranah lap u have fram?

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
DSC_0317.JPG
This is my faranah lap

IMG_6870.JPG
This is my sp. Dabola

The difference is in headshape and both base color and pattern color. Faranah laps tend to be a darker green pattern while most sp. Dabola have a black or dark grey pattern. Base color varies with faranah laps but is sp. Dabola tends to be beige or brown. With Sp. Dabola think endli mixed with lap headshape and pattern.

DSC_0317.JPG

IMG_6870.JPG

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
It just takes time to tell the difference. I have been into bichirs for a long time and I still can't really tell the difference between a lot of the variants. I even had a sp. koloton and if I didn't have a couple Nigerian laps at the same time, I probably still wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Just gotta see a bunch in person and once you see them enough, you'll be able to tell. I haven't seen enough to really be able to tell

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
View attachment 1042569
This is my faranah lap

View attachment 1042571
This is my sp. Dabola

The difference is in headshape and both base color and pattern color. Faranah laps tend to be a darker green pattern while most sp. Dabola have a black or dark grey pattern. Base color varies with faranah laps but is sp. Dabola tends to be beige or brown. With Sp. Dabola think endli mixed with lap headshape and pattern.
U said the dabolas r brown/baige base color
But ur faranah lap looks brown base and the one u said is dabola looks grey ...

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
It just takes time to tell the difference. I have been into bichirs for a long time and I still can't really tell the difference between a lot of the variants. I even had a sp. koloton and if I didn't have a couple Nigerian laps at the same time, I probably still wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Just gotta see a bunch in person and once you see them enough, you'll be able to tell. I haven't seen enough to really be able to tell

Ya all my bichirs I have now r the 1st iv ever had

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
IMG_6648.JPG
Just a trick of the lighting. I see a light brown/beige base with a dark grey/green grey broken banding for the sp. Dabola similar to an Endlicheri. For the faranah lap I see a greenish brown base color with dark green banding, like most other laps. Like awesome said, if you had both side by side it is much easier to see the similarities and differences.

Here is another pic of her hanging out with my PBB and Endlicheri.

DSC_0373.JPG
This is my faranah lap

IMG_6648.JPG

DSC_0373.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store