TheBeardedFish07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ohio
Okay, here is the situation.
pH in garbage can with peat moss- 5.5
pH in tank without presence of peat moss- 7.5
So lets say I do a water change using the aged water from the garbage can and the pH in my tank drops to 7.0. Will the pH stay stable at 7.0 without peat moss in the tank or will I have to add it to keep the pH consistent in the tank?

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
It depends upon your kH level. Best thing to do would be to put some peat pellets in a bag and drop them in the tank or filter.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
The exact amount of pH change depends on the quantity and rate of nitrates produced, as well as the Kh. Your pH will change naturally but it varies per setup. I think consistency is more important.

TheBeardedFish07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ohio
So actually I guess my next question would be is if it's even worth it? I know I'm in the wrong area asking this but how do you think wild altums and wild satanoperca daemons would do in my pH of 7.5?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Wild Altums can be acclamated to 7.5 but long term this is not an ideal situation. Wilds are usually brougth in, in very soft water at a Ph of about 5.0 and need to be acclamated very slowly to a higher Ph. If you were able to get some F1s that's a different story.

TheBeardedFish07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ohio
I have got a link to some wilds and to my understanding the f1's are a lot harder to come by. I think I am going to take the time and figure out the peat moss situation and go from there. If I can get a system in place to stabilize the pH around 5 then Im gonna go after the altums and daemons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store