New here, setting up fishroom, looking for advice

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
Hi All! My first post!

So I currently have 9 tanks in my basement. It is a standard basement, partially finished with 2x4s along foundation walls, drywalled, insulated, well window etc...

The humidity is getting worrysome to me so I was looking into some ideas to heat the room and remove moisture at the same time. In looking into bathroom fans and dehumidifiers, I thought maybe I could just remove the walls altogether. I'm not sure there is much benefit in keeping them as they keep my room more susceptible to mold.

Would the foundation walls be sufficient or should I keep the insulated walls and find some other way to remove the humidity? thoughts, advice?

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Welcome!
There may be a difference between north and south Illinois, but here in NW Ohio the foundation walls get cool enough to get condensation. If you have insulated walls I would keep them and exhaust humid air to the outside of your house.
I would enjoy seeing pictures of your set up BTW.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
I'd get a dehumidifier that has a drain hose and/or built in pump. Many basements need a dehumidifier, even if they don't have fish tanks. I'd keep the insulated walls too.

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
I have my dehumidifier drain back into my sump. In the winter when the furnace is running its not needed.

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Also keep tight fitting lids on all your tanks.
If you are running heaters in your tanks with no lids (tanks warmer than the room air), you are going to get evaporation out the wazoo.
Keep the insulated walls too.

My basement fish room is in progress, but I have a large bathroom vent fan. I plan to wire that to a switch that measures the humidity in the air and turns it on as needed. Haven't tried it, but that's my planned humidity control in the summer. Winter, I will run a dehumidifier if necessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store