Intex Pool practicality?

Blue Bear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Florida
I did little research on this. Some say yes, some say no. However, I found this video on YT [YT]http://youtu.be/_PimstGgmQw[/YT]

I noticed from his other videos he posts/did post here. So, I figured I'd ask. What's the practicality of this being used for say a year, maybe longer? I have a screened in side porch. That's more than likely where it would go. I live in Florida so the temperature is not a huge problem. It would hold my JD, Oscar, 1 fire mouth, one convict, and 2 parrots. I'd obviously end up getting at least a couple more. Probably, a Peacock Bass, maybe a couple more Oscars. I have a buddy that wants to get rid of 2. It would be approximately 1000 gallons, maybe more depending on feedback.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I know people whom has had their Intex pools for years for swimming usage. Of course, in my area, they have to put them away for most of the year. But, I don't see why it wouldn't hold up to fish considering that they hold up to people running around in them.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I went to a members house who had 2 or 3 of them setup with all kinds of MASSIVE fish and rays. Im talking 30"+ pacu and rays bigger than manhole covers. Id be nervous about anything big and toothy or with a stinger but he didnt have any issues.

Blue Bear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Florida
That's what I figured as well. I'm still concerned about Plecos. I hear people say their Pleco destroyed the liner. I didn't think it would be problematic because the pool liners are (usually) stronger than the average pond liner. I have a Pleco in my small pond out back, for about a year no problems, yet.

Blue Bear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Florida
I went to a members house who had 2 or 3 of them setup with all kinds of MASSIVE fish and rays. Im talking 30"+ pacu and rays bigger than manhole covers. Id be nervous about anything big and toothy or with a stinger but he didnt have any issues.
Wow. Any pictures? That sounds awesome. Did they have any substrate, or would that be a bad idea?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When my son left for college, I put an almost 500 gal intex in his bedroom, after I had used it in the basement to overwinter water lilies, Uruguayan cichlids and decorative carp (ponds freeze solid here).
It has half dozen Madagascan cichlids, and including last years wintering, has been up for over a year, no problems so far.
before

now with Madagascans

This year the carp and Gymnos will overwintering in a bestway pool, @900 gal, it is set up, but most fish are still outside.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store