Question on Java fern

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Hi guys,

Would it be possble for me to grow java fern in large amounts on drift wood? If so, how long?

Heres my setup.
The tanks is 10 x 10 x 4. There are more or less 5-7 driftwood which are 4-5' standing at the back. There is also a 6' driftwood that forms a cave. I plan on growing A LOT of java fern on these drift woods that i mentioned. How do you often stick them to the wood and how long does it take for them to stick? Will they stick if my driftwood is standing upright?

Are there other plants that i can add to the mix?

I plan on a bare bottom tank though..however, i can add lava rocks only on the edge of where the drift woods would be standing but not too much, thanks for in advance for the help:)

Regards,
Bob

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I tie the rhizome of java fern to driftwood (it can also be tied to lava rock), it takes a while for it to root into the wood though, but the time it takes depends upon the amount of light used, ferts, etc.
Anubius is another plant that can be affixed to wood or other objects, both below

Pothos can also be set on floating drift wood, or wood placed near the surface, and will send roots into the wood, as long as the stem and leaves of the plant are emerged.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I tie the rhizome of java fern to driftwood (it can also be tied to lava rock), it takes a while for it to root into the wood though, but the time it takes depends upon the amount of light used, ferts, etc.
Anubius is another plant that can be affixed to wood or other objects, both below

Pothos can also be set on floating drift wood, or wood placed near the surface, and will send roots into the wood, as long as the stem and leaves of the plant are emerged.
Awesome..

Thanks a lot for this.

However, im hesistant to use fertilizers as they might harm the fish. Also, this set up is in the open. It has a roof and fluorescent light fixtures with LED. Will these thrive?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The ferts I use are only liquid minerals made to be used in aquariums, and the fish were never harmed. I can't speak to LEDs, my successful planted tanks always get some indirect sunlight for a small part of the day.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
The ferts I use are only liquid minerals made to be used in aquariums, and the fish were never harmed. I can't speak to LEDs, my successful planted tanks always get some indirect sunlight for a small part of the day.
I see thats good news then. My tank is outside but has a roof. Sunlight hits thentank but not totally eapecially when its noon.

Brw, i live in the tropics. Will these plants thrive?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Java fern needs little added fertilization. It thrives off of fish waste. It can be grown in low light situations, but will thrive in sunlight. It can be tied to driftwood using elastics or cotton thread. The plants mentioned above are a good match for Java fern.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Java fern and anubias will thrive attached to driftwood. Since you are doing so much you might want to use superglue instead of thread to tie it. The superglue cures with water so it works instantly on wet wood and plants and holds for months before deteriorating and by then the plants are held on. Make sure you buy stuff with cyanoacrylite as the main ingredient and I prefer loctite gel because it is 100000000x easier to work with than liquid.

As far as how often you will be attaching plants? Figure every few months picking off plantlets and doing what you want with them. Been probably 3 months since ive done mine and you can see all the baby plants

20141017_150013.jpg

20141017_150013.jpg

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Also java fern can be grown in almost any light. Mine is grown under led and ive grown it under almost no light at all (but leaves are much more yellow than deep green)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store