Reeflo pump question.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I am going to buy a new Reeflo Barracuda / Hammerhead pump. The standard version does not list the motor manufacturer in the literature, where the Gold specifies it is a Baldor motor. Have any of you using the regular model of the Reeflo pumps had any motor issues out of warranty? What is the brand? Are they repairable, or throw aways? Any comments would be appreciated.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Love my Hammerhead pump. It has performed flawlessly for 8 1/2 years. I was able to acquire another Hammerhead before they stopped making them, and had another in reserve in case the first developed issues. On our still to be set up big tank we are going with Hammerheads, Barracuda Golds and a Tarpon pump. I'm a Reeflo fan.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Pacu Mom, do you have regular or Gold pumps?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I have two regular Hammerheads in boxes, plus the one we have been using for the last 8 1/2 years. I have two Barracuda Golds in boxes which will run the Ultima II 4000s. I selected the Barracuda Golds based on the recommended flow rate for the Ultimas. I haven't looked for a few years, but I believe Barracuda/Hammerhead hybrids are the in thing now. I purchased my pumps with the optimistic hope that we would have things set up within six months--that was almost four years ago. I just did a quick search. There are still some regular Hammerhead pumps around.

According to Reeflo's website, they can repair most pumps.

http://reeflopumps.com/

The one Hammerhead that I have been using is a total work horse. Based on our experience with our first Hammerhead pump, I didn't consider any other brand of pumps when buying equipment for the new system.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The Hammerhead rated at 5800 gph is a brute of a pump for our 300 gallon tank. The water hits the far wall of the tank and heads back. There is a very strong, swift current in the tank. Fortunately, our fish like the current.

Adding water during a water change
[YT]7v2Vyr5NbNs&list[/YT]

End of a water change. Tommy the lutino oscar goes body surfing
[YT]A8u9mmnzja8&list[/YT]

If I get my way, we will have four Reeflo pumps returning water to our big tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store