positioning of Media

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
i would like to know in what order would you recommend in placing media... would you want to run your sump section with K1 Media then other section Matrix or vise versa Matrix then next section K1??? why would you want it in that order??

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
I plan on making a moving bed filter with k1 in a 55 gallon. Thinking of having 3 sections. First and smallest section I plan on having filter sock, floss or sponge etc to pre-filter. That'll move into the second chamber which will be the largest filled with the k1 and air stone. The third where I plan on having the heaters and pumps will have some space for submerged media like pond matrix. Im not 100% sure if the order matters as long as the water is passing through the media but this is just an idea I wanted to try. Hopefully it'll help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
What makes you feel you need both? I don't believe you do. I have an MB with 100 micron socks getting the particulate matter and 100 liters (3.5 cu ft) of K1. Danner AP100 blowing it all around. 110 gal stock tank for sump. That's it. With enough K1 agitated properly you don't need anything else. In fact, Matix will take up valuable space you could have more K1 in.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I'd do ceramics before k1. You want to keep the fluidized media as free from particulate matter and debris as possible.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I wouldn't want K1 in the sump. I'd want it in a separate vessel where there will be no fluctuation of the water level.

IF that isn't an option I'd do K1 first, BUT the dead bio will end up all over whatever is down stream - could plug ceramic rings. IF using 2 kinds of bio and both in the sump I'd filter after the K1 as well as before.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I plan on making a moving bed filter with k1 in a 55 gallon. Thinking of having 3 sections. First and smallest section I plan on having filter sock, floss or sponge etc to pre-filter. That'll move into the second chamber which will be the largest filled with the k1 and air stone. The third where I plan on having the heaters and pumps will have some space for submerged media like pond matrix. Im not 100% sure if the order matters as long as the water is passing through the media but this is just an idea I wanted to try. Hopefully it'll help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
well i have total of 5 section in my sump setup so right now the 1st (filter sock) and 2nd (media bags), 3rd really empty just 2 bags of matrix which i can move back to my 4th section which have the most (about >20L) then last is my pump and heaters.. i can move the 3rd extra bags of matrix back to 3rd and use that section for K1 or move all the matrix from 4th to 3rd and use the 4th for K1s..

What makes you feel you need both? I don't believe you do. I have an MB with 100 micron socks getting the particulate matter and 100 liters (3.5 cu ft) of K1. Danner AP100 blowing it all around. 110 gal stock tank for sump. That's it. With enough K1 agitated properly you don't need anything else. In fact, Matix will take up valuable space you could have more K1 in.
well i have 2 breeding motoros and you know them followers are really messy..my sump is a 125 gal and top is my 300gal Marineland DD.. even with < 30L or matrix i still sometimes see ammonia spike a day after feeding so i still would like to have more insurance.. as above mentioned i have an extra section in my sump to use why not use the full benefit of my sump area.. so you're saying Matrix is taking up Valuable Space... well them explain why... i can always convert my sump with matrix then other section K1s...

I wouldn't want K1 in the sump. I'd want it in a separate vessel where there will be no fluctuation of the water level.

IF that isn't an option I'd do K1 first, BUT the dead bio will end up all over whatever is down stream - could plug ceramic rings. IF using 2 kinds of bio and both in the sump I'd filter after the K1 as well as before.
well currently i have my 30L of Matrix all bagged in 8 laundry bags so where there is dead areas in the sump i have build up of gunk... so if i use K1s i would still have them no matter how i filter my sump... it will end up passing my filter bags... really i;m not too worry about this situation....

**** to all: my signature of my post will have my sump setup and 2 page will have pictures of the running sump... ****

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store