How to clean debris off the overflow chamber?

kevincao

Gambusia
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
ontario
Hi, my overflow has lots of left over food and its growing white patchy stuff (fungus?) on it, how can I clean the overflow chamber? I just purchased 2 nano wavemakers off ebay today (528GPH each), hoping it can fit in the overflow box and blow up all the debris, please see pic and let me know whats the best way to fix this?

Thanks!

overflow1.JPG
overflow2.JPG

overflow1.JPG

overflow2.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Before the photo came up I thought you were referring to the smaller types that hang over the tank.Yours looks a little different but you should be able to get that stuff out with some properly sized wire bristle cleaners.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I stir it up with my hand then remove the stand pipe(not glued to bulkhead) when I do a water change.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
I have a two foot long section of 3/8ths rigid tubing with clear tubing attached that I use to spot clean or vacuum around pants and such. Just get the siphon flowing and pinpoint clean the effected areas. I like this method, because it does not pull a lot of water out of the tank like a gravel vacuum, yet gets the small debris.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I have a two foot long section of 3/8ths rigid tubing with clear tubing attached that I use to spot clean or vacuum around pants and such. Just get the siphon flowing and pinpoint clean the effected areas. I like this method, because it does not pull a lot of water out of the tank like a gravel vacuum, yet gets the small debris.
+1 i wouldn't want to disturb those fungus if i don't have to especially i do NOT want to pull out the stand pipe and let it flow down to your sump.. i would just suck it up like what Keman sayes..i have those rigid clear tubing also but i have from 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2"..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store