ID of these ATF please

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
Here's some questions regarding ATF species,

I've done some reading on both version of ATF guide you created and the ATF that I prefer is Vittatus and Tanzaniae. However the owner doesnt know how to identify them.

So the only one I picked have these characteristics:-

1) Pronounced stripes(Sort of ended at the lateral line)
2) Some blackish/blueish color on the adipose fin(Not sure its tip or the whole fin)
3) Black edge covering the end of tail fin
4) Clear paired fins

And based on this.. I assume mine is either Vittatus, Tanzaniae,or forskahlii

And all the other have this characteristics:

1) Yellowish paired fins
2) Without the pronounced stripes
3) Quite shinning in gold color(Indication of a brevis?)
4) Kind of broad tail fin

Can you shed some light on ID of these ATF? Particularly those that I havent pick up.(Photo can be seen at the bottom)

Sorry for all the question :(
Thanks for your time and have a good day !

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
Here's some questions regarding ATF species,

I've done some reading on both version of ATF guide you created and the ATF that I prefer is Vittatus and Tanzaniae. However the owner doesnt know how to identify them.

So the only one I picked have these characteristics:-

1) Pronounced stripes(Sort of ended at the lateral line)
2) Some blackish/blueish color on the adipose fin(Not sure its tip or the whole fin)
3) Black edge covering the end of tail fin
4) Clear paired fins

And based on this.. I assume mine is either Vittatus, Tanzaniae,or forskahlii

And all the other have this characteristics:

1) Yellowish paired fins
2) Without the pronounced stripes
3) Quite shinning in gold color(Indication of a brevis?)
4) Kind of broad tail fin

Can you shed some light on ID of these ATF? Particularly those that I havent pick up.(Photo can be seen at the bottom)

Sorry for all the question :(
Thanks for your time and have a good day !

View attachment 1042735
The pic shows goliaths

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I see some goliath and some that aren't clear but are probably also goliath.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
Yea thats my gut feeling telling me too. Thanks all of you !!!

Im going to book my tiger fish now :D. I guess I will pick one more from there that have the most golden shining scale.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Pick the one that has the best INTACT jaw structure. Also that will be the one that is used to captivity the best.USUALLY.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Ends up a better looking fish in the future. Alot of the time they are missing the bottom front teeth on the jaw/mandible after smashing into the tank walls repeatedly. Just my opinion.

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
Ends up a better looking fish in the future. Alot of the time they are missing the bottom front teeth on the jaw/mandible after smashing into the tank walls repeatedly. Just my opinion.
Omg its such a good point!! I've never really think of that. I always look for color and their fins.. Captivity I usually look for a stable one and not so skittish. Ok my last 2 fishes I will consider what you have said! Thanks :D!

Unfortunately all the beautiful Gatf have been booked=.=

Might add a payara into my tank.. but im a little afraid that payara will harm my atf =.=

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Omg its such a good point!! I've never really think of that. I always look for color and their fins.. Captivity I usually look for a stable one and not so skittish. Ok my last 2 fishes I will consider what you have said! Thanks :D!

Unfortunately all the beautiful Gatf have been booked=.=

Might add a payara into my tank.. but im a little afraid that payara will harm my atf =.=
Good, healthy body and jaw form is all that matters. Color develops as they get larger, and their fins heal like Wolverine. Some of the nicest fins I've ever seen on an ATF have come from a fish that came to me with nearly no fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store