Slate substrate

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Waste will get under it if you don't silicone it down or pull it regularly. The slate won't harm the fish.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
If its quarried slate for roofs it will have a smooth back which wont allow for waste or debris to get under it. My biggest complaint when I had it was that being that the front side is so textured that when algae grew on the slate that it was a pain to get off. Chewed up the plastic pads or scrubbers when trying to remove.

If you use the ones pre cut from a flooring store then they will be scored on the back of each piece thus creating a void for waste to settle under. But if you use sand to fill in beteween the pieces then waste cant get under them.

Here is a link to when I did mine. Got mine from work and cut each piece with a wet saw and fitting them in.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?365085-New-Slate-Bottom

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
If its quarried slate for roofs it will have a smooth back which wont allow for waste or debris to get under it. My biggest complaint when I had it was that being that the front side is so textured that when algae grew on the slate that it was a pain to get off. Chewed up the plastic pads or scrubbers when trying to remove.

If you use the ones pre cut from a flooring store then they will be scored on the back of each piece thus creating a void for waste to settle under. But if you use sand to fill in beteween the pieces then waste cant get under them.

Here is a link to when I did mine. Got mine from work and cut each piece with a wet saw and fitting them in.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?365085-New-Slate-Bottom
Thanks for for such a vast reply, much appreciated. I'm not concerned about algae as my uv kills anything in the water to feed it. So we're saying roof tile slate will work?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
They have to be new NOT used and/or salvaged. Fresh from a quarry or supplier. But they would need to be cut giving them straight, flat edges instead of the beveled edge they come with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store