Convict cichlids

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
Hey there anyone has any experience of housing a breeding pair of convicts in a community tank? Im planning to get a pair of em into my 52 gal tank but there are other fishes in it like 3 dwarf gouramis and 4 diamond tetras in it so id like to know if it is an OK go or a NO go for the convicts!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ddavidson

Feeder Fish
Oct 3, 2014
United States
Convicts get extremely aggressive when breeding or protecting fry I've watched mine woop my Oscar and jack dempsey just for getting close

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

richkid

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
Penn's Woods
How big are the convicts? I think its a bad idea. My albino con eats platys killing tetras would be no problem. Never kept gouramis but for the most part i would not expect them to be able to defend themselves from breeding cons.

Sent from my LG-D851 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Hey there anyone has any experience of housing a breeding pair of convicts in a community tank? Im planning to get a pair of em into my 52 gal tank but there are other fishes in it like 3 dwarf gouramis and 4 diamond tetras in it so id like to know if it is an OK go or a NO go for the convicts!!

Yea I wouldn't do it, the gourami would be killed or at very least harassed into hiding all the time. Cons when breeding can be down right evil. Only time I had cons breed in a "community" setting was in a 125 with larger cichlids

Sent from my VS840 4G

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
I saw the convicts at my lfs going around 2inches or so.... but lets say my tank has plenty of hiding and breeding spots, would it be in any way better for both the convicts and the other fish?

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
I saw the convicts at my lfs going around 2inches or so.... but lets say my tank has plenty of hiding and breeding spots, would it be in any way better for both the convicts and the other fish?

As long as you don't care for the other fish. I consider what convicts I have left to be a nuisance fish.

There is absolutely ZERO value in breeding them. They are very active and entertaining to watch but if your going to mix males and females they belong in a species only tank.

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
As long as you don't care for the other fish. I consider what convicts I have left to be a nuisance fish.

There is absolutely ZERO value in breeding them. They are very active and entertaining to watch but if your going to mix males and females they belong in a species only tank.
This. And have a plan for the fry. If you leave them in, not all will be eaten/killed. And then you end up with more breeding pairs, and more fry. It gets ugly. :nilly:

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Don't do it. I had a pair of Cutteris in my 75G and all the fry but a few made it however they almost killed all my catfish, which is why I don't do cichlids much anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store