New Life Spectrum super red formula

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Hey,

I just bought a small bottle of the NLS super red formula and was wondering if anyone had tried it yet and get feedback?

I'm hoping to gut stuff rosey red minnows with it to feed my redfin pickerel over the winter.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I just checked it out on the internet, what makes it Ultra Red? What's odd is I couldn't find it on the New Life web site.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I am guessing a combination of either Beta Carotene, Chlorella Algae, Red Algae, Ulva seaweed or the kelp, but I am not certain.

It does contain a warning on the label however:

Feeding to yellow fish may cause a shift to orange coloration.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Maybe one of the members that's intamately familiar with NLS can shed some light on this for us. I always thought NLS garunteed color improvement so why this all of a sudden? I hope NLS didn't just "jump the shark".

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The ultra red formula has been around for over 2 yrs. It simply contains a higher level of astaxanthin than the other formulas. The Ick Sheild is exciting for reefers, as it contains Chloroquine as the active ingredient. (at the proper dosage rate to treat marine ich) Hex Shield contains a combination of Metronidazole, and Epsom Salt, both which are tried & true methods of curing spironucleus aka hexamita in fish. If ones fish are still eating, these two new foods will be the shizznit for treating, as no need to measure, presoak, or anything else.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
But your fish would already need to be on NLS or a fish that will eat anything. A weakened fish with a poor appetite is unlikely to accept it otherwise. I have given up on getting some of my fish to accept it.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ya, well, there's the rub. Some people can train fish, and some can't. :)

The reality is these types of food are a perfect solution for new fish, that should be in a QT tank for 30 days or more. Not many marine keepers simply toss a new fish into their system without a proper qt period, and this is the optimum time to be feeding medicated feed, before the stress of the big tank and new tankmates comes into play, and before the fish are sick. And even sick fish will sometimes eat a little bit, and even if they don't a soft mash of pellets & water can be force fed to a fish.

And the reality is, most freshwater & saltwater species can be trained to eat NLS. Some are more difficult than others, I will admit that, but if Achilles Tang & Moorish Idol can be trained to eat it then most people shouldn't have too many issues training freshwater fish.

New Life is also now selling a Chloroquine based bath powder for treating fish that aren't eating.
http://www.bigalspets.com/ick-shield-bath-solution-powder-50-g.html

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Two tanks filled with a couple of the most difficult fish to feed in captivity. These are wild fish known to be extremely difficult to pellet train, and keep for any length of time in captivity. Probably the only tank in existence that you will ever see with that many Achilles Tang, or Moorish Idol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ptQLh8Tuo

So for those that can't train their Jag or JD to eat it this food, well ........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store