Cannister filter was accidentally unplugged for 1 whole week. Did I kill my bio?

Gyarados

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2014
Lower Slower Delaware
Hello everyone,

I do water changes on my 90g every Friday and today I noticed that my Fluval Fx6 had been accidentally unplugged from last weeks water change. I run a AC110, Sponge Filter and a UV as well so I did not notice the absence of noise/flow. Did I essentially kill of my FX6's bio?

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Was there still water in the filter? Also how much did the temp in the filter change from its regular temp?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gyarados

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2014
Lower Slower Delaware
Water was definitely still in the filter. I did notice a slight Sulfur like smell when I turned it back on. If there has been die off is it bad to run the filter on the tank still?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If the filter was relatively clean it may not be a problem. The noticeable sulfur like smell when you turned the filter back on would be a definite concern for me though.

I have had my FX5 filter stop running due to ingesting a bit too much sand and I noticed it the next day. I removed the filter from service, opened it up and it had that sulfur smell. I cleaned all the media, cleaned the sand from the impeller and set it back up with no problems.

Just keep an eye on your water parameters for the next few days, you may see a spike in ammonia. If you notice the fish having any problems, do some large water changes and clean the filter if it's been awhile.

Gyarados

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2014
Lower Slower Delaware
I will keep testing the water and doing water changes accordingly. The last filter clean was done about 2 months ago and the tank is not heavily stocked. Hopefully everything works out. Thanks guys!

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
check to make sure you impeller is sitting right have ad that issue in various filters

Gyarados

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2014
Lower Slower Delaware
Just tore it all apart again and cleaned the impeller this time. When I plugged it in a made the slightest noise and then did nothing... Really should have spent the extra 100 on the eheim.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store