Gar vs Aro: zee great debate

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
The heavy lifting is done, and the stand is painted. My new 180g is ready to be aquascaped! Im taking a break from arranging driftwood and planting to type this.

So, the question: should I stock this gorgeous new tank with aros or gar? Accompanying either will be two delhezi bichir, one senegal bichir, and possibly a clown knife.

Has anyone kept both of these fish? Which is the most entertaining? Intelligent? Will either beg for food?

Ive read all the guides and done plenty of research on each species, I just want some opinions from real people! I want to know how your experiences have been!

Will post pics of the tank soon~

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Only aro near suitable for a 180g tank is a jardini. They are not really a community type fish due to aggression.

Are you willing to upgrade tank size in the future?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Yes indeed. The lady and I have a huge project planned that we have begun saving for. This tank will house them for two years.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Ive read up on jardini. The bichir are a must, so Im not positive that they are the best choice. Has anyone out there housed bichir with a jardini successfully?

Pbass are also an option, I'm just... well, I'm over cichlids.

Edit: sorry for the double post. Im on a phone and hopped up on excitement.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to seek out a florida gar! Anyone able to suggest an online site that ships them? My local store can get me an alligator gar, but not a florida gar. T.T

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Ive read up on jardini. The bichir are a must, so Im not positive that they are the best choice. Has anyone out there housed bichir with a jardini successfully?

Pbass are also an option, I'm just... well, I'm over cichlids.

Edit: sorry for the double post. Im on a phone and hopped up on excitement.
I've had a big ornate in with two of my jardini (diff ones of course ) never had any problems , as long as the birchir isn't snack sized they generally get left alone in my experience anyway

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Right on. I pulled an all nighter to finish the aquascape! Give me a bit and Ill post some pictures.

Edit: from what I read, I want a florida gar. Anyone have issues with these guys bashing themselves to death on the tanks walls in fright?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store