HELP! Will this destroy my aquarium?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I often create hills in my aquascapes using a technique that (in short) involves trapping substrate against the glass and sequestering it into a given area using big rocks as a fence of sorts. I am in the process of aquascaping a180 gallon tank with one previous owner. Will trapping substrate against the glass (6-8 inches worth) cause a leak?

It has been fine in my smaller tanks, but this tank is considerably larger.

Thanks!!!

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Bump for the fishes. Think about the fishes!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Do you mean something similiar to this? This might be an issue depending on how much substrate you use and how deep you plan to pin the substrate against the glass. Anything less than 8 inches I think you should be fine I Just got the image from Google not my pic or tank
uploadfromtaptalk1413617314925.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Thats the basic idea. I'm just afraid of putting too much strain on the side of the tank. Its just so big. And expensive. -_-

The idea is to make a big two foot semi-circle of rocks at the edge of the tank. At the center of the circle i bring the rocks inward (imagine drawing a two d boob with a large inverse nipple--thats the overhead view). I put spiderwood over the rocks that form the "inverse nipple," angling it so that it points downward and out into the open water. I then seal the open gaps with smaller rocks, add substrate behind the rocks and above the spiderwood, and place a tree trunk sized piece of driftwood above the spiderwood.

The result is pretty breathtaking. It looks like a tree above a cave with roots that are suspended in mid-air. I realllllly want to make it happen in this tank because the same effect yields lots of compliments in my 40g bichir scape.

Edit: sorry for the sloppy description, i can give a more detailed explanation if anyone is curious. Theres more to it than I thought was worth mentioning.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Thats the basic idea. I'm just afraid of putting too much strain on the side of the tank. Its just so big. And expensive. -_-

The idea is to make a big two foot semi-circle of rocks at the edge of the tank. At the center of the circle i bring the rocks inward (imagine drawing a two d boob with a large inverse nipple--thats the overhead view). I put spiderwood over the rocks that form the "inverse nipple," angling it so that it points downward and out into the open water. I then seal the open gaps with smaller rocks, add substrate behind the rocks and above the spiderwood, and place a tree trunk sized piece of driftwood above the spiderwood.

The result is pretty breathtaking. It looks like a tree above a cave with roots that are suspended in mid-air. I realllllly want to make it happen in this tank because the same effect yields lots of compliments in my 40g bichir scape.

Edit: sorry for the sloppy description, i can give a more detailed explanation if anyone is curious. Theres more to it than I thought was worth mentioning.
You shouldn't have an issue. In the reef 180 we have 300+lbs of live rock that leans up against the back glass.

Glass is really strong, it just can't take any sort of impact or hit.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Right on. I set up the tank as I described but still felt uneasy, so i decided to go the other way with it after all. Took a while to press that particular undo button. Ill snap a few pictures to upload!

FishareFriends2013

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Chicago Illinois
Iv setup a 125 doing the exact same thing and had no problem. Even tho you went another direction I can't wait to see photos. Noside.... You should post some pics of your salt tank.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire

Cant help much but I do have about 5-6 inches of sub against my back glass on a rimless tank setup for a few years with no issue. Your description had me cracking up though. Sat am hangover reading about substrate boobs. Gold!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store