Adopting a new RTC next week

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Got a call from a friend the other day. Asked if I was interested in a 55g tank that her friend was getting rid of before moving. Kicker...it would come with an apparent 16" RTC. That got my attention. Feeling bad for that poor future monster, I told her I wasn't interested in buying the tank(seeing as there is no way I would keep the RTC in there), but I would adopt the fish and she could sell the tank alone. Recently got a picture and thankfully I don't think he's quite 16" but still way to big for a 55. Only issue now is that I was hoping to be able to keep him with the RTCxTSN I currently have(also approximately 16") but I'm not sure how that will go over? He's pretty d@mn mean, and territorial. I've never been able to keep anything with him. Last night I tried a test run at adding a new fish. 14" common Pleco was the poor test dummie. After I put him in everything was fine for maybe a minute, until the Pleco decided to take refuge in one of the caves(apparently claimed by the cat). My cat literally swam in there and dragged the Pleco out by his tail. No real harm done but obviously I grabbed him out immediately. Any suggestions? Would possibly rearranging the setup make an introduction easier or is it hopeless? Thanks in advance for any help fellow mfk'ers.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd try to rearrange everything in the hybrid's tank then put the RTC in before the hybrid has any time to claim territories.

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
I'd try to rearrange everything in the hybrid's tank then put the RTC in before the hybrid has any time to claim territories.
Thanks! Would taking the hybrid out, rearranging the tank, adding new fish, them replacing hybrid be a good idea??

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I agree with rearranging the tank. It would be like a new environment for the hybrid and would have to claim a new territory. Is there any way you can put a divider? Just to be safe until the by rid gets used to the rtc?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
I agree with rearranging the tank. It would be like a new environment for the hybrid and would have to claim a new territory. Is there any way you can put a divider? Just to be safe until the by rid gets used to the rtc?

Divider? Hmm...well anything is possibly I guess but creating a 2ftx2ft divider that will withstand the strength of two 15"+ rtc's would be a challenge I assume

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Divider? Hmm...well anything is possibly I guess but creating a 2ftx2ft divider that will withstand the strength of two 15"+ rtc's would be a challenge I assume

True. Didn't think about that. Maybe if you suction cup like 2 or 3 layers of those plastic egg crates it might work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store