Why I don't like big chain stores.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I went to petsmart to buy some water conditioner (I usually buy from one of my LFS, but this time I was eating somewhere and this was the closest place) I check out the fish and with the new employee, alot of them are dead. The old aquarium manager knew a decent amount about fish but left recently and was replaced by some other guy. A man and his little 4 year old son come in to buy a new fish. The man asks "We're here to buy a new fish because last time my son but soap in the bowl" and then they buy 2 comet goldfish.....then the "fish expert" asks them to buy a moss ball to "Keep the bowl super clean" and buy a "special goldfish formula flake that makes them live longer" to drain more cash out of the guy. With a kid like that, how much do you want to bet those fish aren't going to last long and they're going to come back some time for another fish? Any experiences like this you've encountered?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't have any big box horror stories and I still don't much care for them.There is a PetSmart that is mere minutes from me compared to any real lfs places but I'd rather drive a little farther and support an independent shop.PetSmart tends to charge more money for the aquarium supplies that they carry also.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
The fish from my lfs have a better mortality rate than those from the conglomerates.

I've been denied fish at petsmart before for mundane reasons like "you cannot buy that many at once" "you cant keep live bearers alone"

I have a background in automotive. So when I walk into a bottom of the barrel parts store and some punk walks up to me and asks if I need help I just cringe. Listen guy, there cannot possibly be anything you can help me with here unless im looking for an adhesive backed spoiler or a skull and crossbones air freshener. This is the exact way I feel in a petsmart or petco. Especially when the clerk gets an attitude.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store