What got you into fish keeping?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Just as the title says, what brought you into this hobby: personal interest, born and raised with it, profit by breeding and selling, relaxation, anything else?

For me, I'm just a huge animal lover and enjoy having pets knowing I'm giving them a good life. I'm also big into scuba diving and find aquatic life interesting. I've only kept bettas in the past but will soon be setting up a 150 gallon tank and due to the fact that I strive to give my animals the best life possible I quickly became immersed in learning the in's and out's of the hobby.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
I grew up on a pretty big cattle ranch, we had more then a few massive ponds, we stocked them regularly with fish we caught in 1 of the 3 rivers that ran through our land. I was hooked on keeping fish along with catching them at a very young age.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Kid down the street had angelfish and I was fascinated. The next christmas I got a ten gallon. That was 45 years ago. I kept guppies in mason jars before that.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My old man bred fish when I was a little kid. He apologizes to this day for it lol. "Sorry your always gonna have fish. That's the way it is"

Several years ago I bought a betta fish at petsmart for no logical reason when I was shopping for catfood or something with some questionable ex-girlfriend. I was under the impression I could keep one alive with just a live plant in a small bowl. So I went to a bettafish forum to look into it. .. 3 days later I bought a 5.5g starter kit with a little filter, heater, and light. Soon the 5.5 became a community tank. Then about a month down the road it turned into a 40b with a diy acrylic overhead sump running off an aquaclear 50 powerhead.

It was pretty much all down hill from that point on haha.

Always loved watching fish since I was old enough to walk. Always enjoyed complex diy projects. It just kinda happened

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gg1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2014
chattanooga tn
My uncle had always kept fish I specifically remember a Oscar and a piranhas in a small tank witch they were small but we fed them feeders and it was awesome wen I was young ....I begged my parents for a fish tank and got one a couple months later ....since I have always had fish and now that I have all these tanks my uncle comes over and is always like what do u have now and he's always interested but is in no shape to have his own now ....he aploigizes to my wife every time he's here .....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
When I was about 6 or 7 my dad had 2 55 gal. tanks on 1 stand, in the top one he had 2 big Oscars and the bottom had some Angel fish in it and I would pull a chair over in front of the tanks and just sit there for hours watching the fish... I have been hooked every since!!!!

When I was 16 I was with my Uncle out working and he stopped at a yard sale where they had a 90 gal. tank for only $25, So that was the first tank I bought for myself and never looked back... LOL... Believe it or not I just sold that tank to my best friend about 2 years ago and he still has it to this day!!!

Wow that is crazy now that I think about it I had that tank for almost 30 years!!!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
My love of fishing.

Growing up on the Florida Georgia line, I would always go out and catch catfish and bass in my free time. I quickly grew to become fascinates with them, which lead to wanting to see more of them.

Twenty years later, here I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Two things got me into it. One, Catching fish in Lake Erie (Mainly White Bass at the time). Two, seeing Longnose Gar at the Pittsburgh Aquarium. I've still yet to keep either but I plan on as soon as i have a large enough tank or pond.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
I get the "aquarium bug" from my dad who my mom tells me he had alot of tanks.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store