Small fish with Fly River Turtle?

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
i just experienced the loss of my Armatus by my Fly River Turtle. They lived peacefully together for just under a year before the FRT decided that the tank will solely be his. Now i have a tank with a just a fly river turtle.
i just find it bland to keep a single turtle in a tank with no other movement. He is usually very lazy during the day so there is nothing much to observe during that time.

I have no plans to buy any sort of "large fish" to keep with my FRT now. But...... Is there any chance to keep very small schooling fish with my turtle? I'm assuming that the fish will be:

1. Too small for the turtle to bother to chase and eat.
OR
2. perfect size for the turtle to eat.

I'm think of getting a school or neon tetras and some sort of small barbs. Anyone keep small fish with turtles? What are your experiences. Any more recommended fish species to keep with FRTs?

Any insight would be great. TY

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Give me the frt and I will give you 15 frontosa .... Fills your tank pretty well. But really idk any fish that could live with a frt long term so anything you get should be cheap and fast

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Dimensions barbs are fast but not tiny. You could try to go with a school of pearl Dino's, a school of mixed neons, and a school of rasboas. You would have several groups of mixed color but they would still be small. I would recommend trying a "night light" and seeing what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

ctenosaura

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2011
I kept my FRT who is 12 inches. in with some fry frontosa and everything was cool until the fronts started getting larger then one by one at night when the fronts go dormant he ended up killing all of them and 2 paratilapia bleekeri. I think very small fish like a colony of neon tetras would be safe.

clifton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
PA.
I keep a yellow bullhead catfish, Laura, in a 75 gallon tank. She is still growing at 5 1/2 inches. Knowing that any other fish sharing the tank with her are eventual "groceries", I stocked with inexpensive, active and fast tankmates. I've had success with cherry barbs, giant danios and, for a while, tiger barbs. for some reason, the tiger barbs are the least successful at surviving. The other fish eat only flake foods, but the tiger barbs try to get some of the carnivore pellets on the bottom, and get too close to Laura, and meet the reaper. This way I have some movement and activity in the tank. I keep a low wattage light on at one end of the tank full time. If the power goes out or the light burns out, I take a few losses. Otherwise, they usually survive unless they get a little weak or unhealthy (flat bellies, slow movements or starting to get clamped fins). Interestingly, tinfoil barbs do fine, but get challenged and killed if they grow bigger than 3- 3 1/2".
I kept my FRT who is 12 inches. in with some fry frontosa and everything was cool until the fronts started getting larger then one by one at night when the fronts go dormant he ended up killing all of them and 2 paratilapia bleekeri. I think very small fish like a colony of neon tetras would be safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store