Cichlids vs oddballs

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I've been looking at alot of different tanks while I wait on my 260 arriving and i'm a bit unsure of what to do with it. I currently have cichlids spread between a 90g and two 75g's which i'm planning on moving to the 260. Currently have an oscar, JD, unknown vieja, 5 SD's, a convict, female jag, gold severum, mayan, green terror and a salvini. My problem is that i'm starting to have a bit of a change of heart. I'm starting to think i'd like to stock the 260 with gar, catfish and some other oddballs. I've never kept gar or large catfish before so it would all be new to me. Can you guys give your opinions? Would like to hear from people with experience with both.

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
I would personally do the oddball. I think cichlids are too common. But then again, I own guppies lol.

Sent from my LGMS500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Oddball
I went with gar this time. And other not so common fish.

EVERYONE has cichlids now days.
My Gar is so much more peaceful then any cichlid I kept, and I kept them for the better part of 20 years. SWORE I'd never bring another one into the house.
I have nothing against them I just wanted other fish that not everyone has.
I passed on a FW barracuda today due to the fact that he was only about 4 inches and GARfield would have ate him right up at that size.
That and I'm really holding out for a sterlet.

It really comes down to personal choice though. There are some really awesome looking cichlids out there.

Rich

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
just dont buy an catfish that will outgrow that tank. i personally would do cichlids. why? because thats what i like.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I just get fed up with the constant fighting and the fact that everybody has them, I think gars would be amazing to watch, plus the possibility of adding plants to the tank! Would an 84x30x24 be large enough for florida gar? Could I keep more than one? Sterlets look great, I thought they needed to be kept at lower temps though? For catfish I like shovelnoses, wish I had a tank large enough for a tiger but I would probably have to go with a lima.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Just go with what interests you. I've been keeping fish for over 35 years so I have plenty of experience with both. In general I find oddballs much more interesting.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
i dont like the fighting either. thats why i dont keep cichlid communities anymore. but it sounds like your mind is made up already.

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I personally like the cichlid. (Sa/ca not african personally). I love to watch my oscar and jd slowly swim past one another eyeballing one another but just hanging out. I also really like schooling fish and how when the larger fish go after food fast they all dart to get to one another

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
You would need to keep the sterlet at the high end of the temp range and the Gar at his low end. That's what I'm gonna try at least then if/when it out grows the tank out to the pond it goes.

I'm keeping Garfield in a 160 G right now. I can up grade my tank when ever, but I can't go longer then 96 L x 24 W

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?325135-General-Sturgeon-Care
This link shows the sterlet at 23 C temp max ( 73.4 F) I'm keeping Garfield at 76 F right now and he's a pretty active fish.

I honestly don't know how many you could get in a tank that size. I feel I could do three right now with no other fish. But I'm really happy with just him the rope fish, sens birchir, and the 5 inch Comet GF. Until I locate the sterlet or find something I can't resist.
Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store