eartheater just spawned ... but in the inproper time

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hong Kong
My pair of tapajos orange head have just laid the eggs on a rock. This is their first spawn.
The problem is, there were some signs of ich in the tank and I have just started treatment with protozin right before they spawned. Because I have BN pleco in the tank, I half-dosed the tank, but I reckon it will still be harsh for the eggs. I suppose they have to fend for themselves.:(

BTW, after spawning, I notice the male is chasing every tankmates, including the female, away from the rock. From most of the sources I read, usually the female broods the eggs and take care of them until they are too big for her. It is then that the male will take over some of the fries. Is there anyone with the same experience? Will the male take care of the eggs on his own, or he will just leave them alone?

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
You could remove the rock to another tank and raise them artificially

wfex4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Cape Coral, Fl
Normally, both parents will take care of the brood, but they may be inexperienced and it usually takes a few tries before they figure things out. I have had parents split the batch and raise the fry separately before too. They'll likely be breeding again a few weeks. I don't even pull the fry anymore, there's usually too many at any given time.

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the advice.
Good news is now both parents has clamped their mouths and moved to a quiet corner of the tank. I suppose that means they are mouth-brooding together. Some pushing and bumping among them, but nothing serious.

Bad news is my family don't like the idea of having another grow out tank, so I am forced to leave the fry in the original tank.

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hong Kong
Just an update

The ick has been cleared up after the treatment. All fish survive, but I will keep the temperature 29C for another week.

Just found 4 wrigglers in the tank away from their parents and I managed to save one of them.
DSC_0240_zps7c2278aa.jpg
It's still too small for a breeder net so I put it in a plastic lunch box for the moment. It still has its egg sack and ignore the food I give it.
I suppose the fries got lost when they are released/the male gives up brooding and release them (the male just swim around its territory and occasionally chase and bump the female), but the mother is still brooding.
I had a feeling that the male is being rough because the female didn't release the fries while the female didn't release the fries because of the aggression.
This makes me quite worry about the female's health. It has not been eating for a few days and its tail making slow recovery. (forgot to mention before. Its tail has been chewed up by something the day before it spawn)
I am considering to isolate the female with a breeder net if things got worse, or should I do it now?
DSC_0246_zpsd11ed6be.jpg
That's the tail of the female. About 1/5 of the tail is missing. I didn't see any redden or white growth, so I think it isn't infected. But I am inexperienced with fin rot/fungus. The fish are all healthy before and I am keeping the nitrate below 20.

In the meantime, it seems that I have another spawning pair in the tank.
DSC_0238_zps0efc649a.jpg
I think that's the egg tube dropping down before the anal fin. This pair makes their nest very close to the original pair's territory. There are some tension among them, with some flaring and facedown. (the new pair is more dominant)
This may also be why the original female didn't release the fries.

DSC_0240_zps7c2278aa.jpg

DSC_0238_zps0efc649a.jpg

IMG_1965_zps4cdfbeef.jpg

DSC_0246_zpsd11ed6be.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store