Rope Fish keepers?

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Anyone keep rope fish?

What other kinds of fish share the tank?

What other fish are VERY compatible with the ropes?? I know the ropes will eat pretty much anything it can get in it's mouth, or even tear into larger things. I am setting up a 125 and will be stocking eight ropes, but want other variety in there too. Feeding will consist of live guppy feeders, white clouds, and some frozen cube foods like beef heart, blood worm, tubifex, occasional talapia or other fresh fish meats, etc...

Any suggestions for compatible tank mates that won't get eaten or harm the ropes???

Right now, there are 100 small white clouds and guppies in there for bio load, I expect them to be eaten soon after the ropes move in...

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Used to have a trio. Good to hear you are getting a large group, they do better in numbers.

As for tankmates: Anything considerably bigger than the ropes' mouth. Avoid fish with long tails though, tried some swordtails with mine and they would get slowly eaten from the tail.
Aggression: Rope fish are sturdy and kind of oblivious to their tankmates, so anything that's not immensely aggressive (talking puffers, wolf fish, etc.) and especially fish that don't inhabit the bottom are good. Had several types of cichlid with mine, large tetras, a bichir and a bunch of plecos.. other options would be big barbs, livebearers, rainbowfish..

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I kept my gf's ropefish with baby bichirs, mahseer's, convicts and a fire eel. Extremely peaceful fish. They don't bother anything at all. Just avoid fish that would pick on them though

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
So, larger, non aggressive, with small fins... Any more suggestions on specific tank mates? I will be starting out with four and add two every month to increase the group to eight, I read they require at least five gallons per rope, so with eight in a 125, they will have more than enough room for tank mates.

I do plan on having at least two plecos. The tank has black sand, so I am thinking Albino bristle nose or other light colored varieties. I do want some median dwellers swimming about too. No Bichirs though, since they have a slime coat, they can be harmed by Plecos.

Will they co-habitate well with a couple Axolotl? I saw a couple of the small albinos at the LFS today when I picked up feeders.. Very cool, but I have heard they can be aggressive.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Ropefish have slime coats as well just like bichirs but good call on the bristlenose plec's. They're 1 of the few that people have had the most success with bichirs. I've had luck with adonis pleco's as well with bichirs but that's still a risk. As for the axo's. That's a definite no. Ropefish are tropical and need the temp in the 80's whereas axo's require cooler water in the 60's and low 70's. Also the feathery gills on axo's are prone to getting nipped at by the ropefish.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Ropefish have slime coats as well just like bichirs but good call on the bristlenose plec's. They're 1 of the few that people have had the most success with bichirs. I've had luck with adonis pleco's as well with bichirs but that's still a risk. As for the axo's. That's a definite no. Ropefish are tropical and need the temp in the 80's whereas axo's require cooler water in the 60's and low 70's. Also the feathery gills on axo's are prone to getting nipped at by the ropefish.

YA, I have been reading about Axies for the past half hour. Very cool critters to be sure, but a definite NO as tank mates.
Axies do not play well with others.

rosne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
CA
I keep my 4 rope fish with birchirs, clown loaches, black ghost knife, african brown knife, fire and spiney eel and a common pleco. Been keeping them together for 3 month and had no problem as of yet.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Any other ideas for tankmates???

I want non aggressive fish that swim about up in the tank away from the bottom. Would not mind several schooling fish, but they need to be "Not Rope Food". The tank will be about 80*f and as close to neutral PH as I can keep it.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Maybe giant danios, dwarf gourami's, bala and Apollo sharks. You can also try some rams and MAYBE firemouth cichlids. I'm not sure how firemouths are aggression wise but from what I've heard they're pretty peaceful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store