K1 vs. Chopped Straws

HZO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2013
After seeing lots of people talking about using straws as cheap alternatives to K1, and other people saying that straws don't work as well, I have decided to compare them mathematically.

Efficiency

1 liter of K1 has ~1800 pieces in it. Each piece has a surface area of ~7.5cm², making a liter have a surface area of ~13550cm².

1 liter of chopped straws has ~5550 pieces in it. Each piece has a surface area of ~1.9cm², making a liter have a surface area of ~10500cm². This assumes you are using 6mm straws chopped in ~5mm pieces.

This makes K1 roughly 30% more efficient than chopped straws.

Cost

If you are in the USA, you can get 1 liter of K1 for about $5.

At my nearest grocery store, I can get a box of 100, ~20cm straws for $3. 4 boxes of 100 straws yields about 3 liters of chopped straw media, making chopped straws cost about $4 per liter.

This makes K1 roughly 25% more expensive than straws.

Conclusion

The numbers speak for themselves; K1 is the superior media. It costs 25% more, but is 30% more efficient. Not to mention the fact that K1 is cheaper than $5/L if bought in bulk, and you have to chop up straws into tiny little pieces. I would only recommend chopped straws over K1 for tanks smaller than 30 gallons, and you were REALLY tight on cash.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
You can get a 200 pack of straws for $1 at any discount store so $2 for three liters and k1 is $5 for a liter so $.67 per liter vs $5.00 per liter that's 650% higher cost for 30% more efficiency. In bulk you can get K1 for as low as $1.41 per liter, $400 for 10 cubic feet, and straws for around $.56 per liter, $50 for 12K straws so the straws are still cheaper but not by nearly as much.

IMO K1 is a vastly superior product and worth the additional cost even without the work involved in cutting up the straws but if all one's after is a cheap fluidized filter media it's straws all the way.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I use another media
WaterTek MB3*Moving Bed Media

Straws vs k1. K1 all day long. If you don't want to spend the money for k1. Try the stuff I use. It's just as good or better by some reports. I love it and it's very powerful stuff even in little quantities

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
I use another media

Straws vs k1. K1 all day long. If you don't want to spend the money for k1. Try the stuff I use. It's just as good or better by some reports. I love it and it's very powerful stuff even in little quantities

You order direct from WMT? I've looked into that media a fair bit but haven't been looking to buy yet so I haven't contacted the company.

HZO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2013
You can get a 200 pack of straws for $1 at any discount store so $2 for three liters and k1 is $5 for a liter so $.67 per liter vs $5.00 per liter that's 650% higher cost for 30% more efficiency. In bulk you can get K1 for as low as $1.41 per liter, $400 for 10 cubic feet, and straws for around $.56 per liter, $50 for 12K straws so the straws are still cheaper but not by nearly as much.

IMO K1 is a vastly superior product and worth the additional cost even without the work involved in cutting up the straws but if all one's after is a cheap fluidized filter media it's straws all the way.
I forgot about the dollar stores. :screwy::D But the main point of my post was to compare the surface areas of the two, the price comparison I just threw in as an afterthought.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
I forgot about the dollar stores. :screwy::D But the main point of my post was to compare the surface areas of the two, the price comparison I just threw in as an afterthought.
And K1 is a purpose built product made with durability in mind while straws are made just tough enough to be reliably used once and thrown away. K1 is obviously the superior product unless one's only consideration is price. I'm a numbers guy though so even though I'd never use straws it's nice to see the data laid out so clearly.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Yep. Just call them and order very easy to do and a great price. Great place to deal with.

You order direct from WMT? I've looked into that media a fair bit but haven't been looking to buy yet so I haven't contacted the company.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Yep. Just call them and order very easy to do and a great price. Great place to deal with.
about what do they charge per cubic foot? or gallon? What do they charge for shipping?

I'm thinking about getting 1 cubic foot of BioFLO 9 for about $59. It's $45 (or best offer) + $14 for shipping.
or
Allied Aqua Moving Bed Bio Media for $50 with free shipping.

Both from ebay.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I use another media

interesting I will have to look into this

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
I just got quote from WMT. $30 per cubic foot + $16 for shipping to Michigan. To me, it looks like the best constructed MBBM out of the 4 choices, since it has what appears to be more protected interior surface area and a stronger wheel structure. Still not cheap, but dollar for dollar may be the best choice between K1, BioFlo9, Allied Aqua Moving Bed Bio Media, and WMT's WaterTek MB3 Moving Bed Media. Just wish it was easier to order and available on the web. Don't like giving billing information over the phone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store