Gar reaction

Justin David

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Syosset
Florida gar 13" only eats freeze dried krill. Tried other things, only eats krill. Only feeds with lights off in the room otherwise hes hiding behind a rock. Hes in a 125 with a pleco. Water parameters are all good. He is scsred of me when i come near the tank i have to throw food from across the room and he senses the splash so he comes up to it slowly and after 30 seconds if he didnt spit it out its eaten but why does it take so long? Is he blind? What should i do i feel like hes not eating enough.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm guessing there's not enough cover in the tank for him to feel secure. Get some floating plants to lay across surface and put some on sides to help him feel more safe in the tank.

That's good he's eating krill though :)

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Floating cover may be helpful, never have needed it for my gars though. Plecos may suck on gars, and he may be acting oddly because of it. Can you please post a picture of your gar?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Great looking gar.

I personally would add more cover and see if that helps.

I would also try to add some smaller fish that are less shy to help him out.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Also gar are ambush predators. They lay motionless in cover until something swims by and they snap it up. They arent an active hunting type fish like some others which is why they move slow for food. And they are mostly nocturnal.

As mentioned add cover, possibly dim the lights or add surface cover and he should settle in but just know that fully settled in he isnt going to be slamming food as it hits the water like a bass or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store