Best place to buy a 500g GLASS aquarium from?

beantickler

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
~Pittsburgh~
I am trying to do some online shopping for a Stingray tank. I have got a few quotes but some of these places have some strange options. Does the bottom glass need to be tempered? What overall size glass should I even go with? Tank size is 96x48x24. What are some reputable aquarium builders and what features would you have them add? LIG front? Tempered bottom? 1/2" or 3/4"? Overflow size and placement?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I had a 8x4x2 acrylic and there were some things I liked and some I didnt like. I would have gone without corner overflows and gone for a coast to coast overflow if I did it again. Also from experience with other tanks 1/2" is plenty thick for 2' tall assuming its braced properly. A 150g is 27" tall and uses 1/2" glass. LIG isnt a huge difference. I can easily tell by looking at the glass but it is really only noticeable when looking at the glass not through it. Black silicone is an option ill never pass on again.

good luck and I hope to see a build thread in the future!

Heres 2 pics to show LIG. Notice regular glass edge looks black while lig like acrylic can be seen through relatively clearly but no difference even in person looking at the aquarium.

20141019_234516.jpg20141019_234545.jpg

20141019_234516.jpg

20141019_234545.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What did you do with the eight foot tank Brian and what is LIG?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I think LIG only makes a difference with 3/4" glass.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Go with an acrylic. Hit up petelockwood. He's selling two of them and he's in NJ. There is a sale thread in the marketplace

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
What did you do with the eight foot tank Brian and what is LIG?
Lig is low iron glass, Starphire is a brand name I believe but just basically clearer glass. Looks light blue instead of dark green when you look at the edges but a waste of money imo on 1/2" glass. Maybe much thicker it would be noticeable.

Wish I kept that 500g but I sold it when I moved like a moron. Got frusterated I couldnt get it exactly like I wanted (stupid blue acrylic back and corner overflows I loathed because there wasnt room for herbie drains)

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Anyone able to answer the original question? Name the best online glass aquarium builder for large tanks?

I'm curious about this too. Standard is glass cages and they have mixed reviews at best.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ctc aquariums is in jersey not far from op and though I havent bought a tank from them yet I will be buying one from them in the future. Their cs is excellent and ive seen 1 tank in person they did and it was GORGEOUS. Just be sitting down when you get the quote. Im curious what they will quote you because 2 years ago I got a quote on the exact same dimension tank and steel stand from them. Pretty sure they were willing to build on site if I wanted to go bigger(figured those were the max dimensions I could have and fit through a standard door)

http://www.coasttocoastaquariums.com/

other than that glasscages or 1000 acrylic builders. Dont see that size glass tank often, maybe elos can do something. Ive seen some big rimless tanks from them but iirc the biggest they offer standard is about 250g and going custom from an italian manufacturer would probably not be cheap. Ever consider building it yourself? Something ive tossed around a long time and seem everywhere but usa it seems common practice for big tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store