Please recommend a new water pump..........

ctenosaura

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2011
Just set up a 180 for my fly river turtle and and am running a home made a sump system. The "Catalina Aquarium 3000" pump is seemingly pushing the correct amount if water through the system. but it is noisy as hell. Prior to setting up this aquarium, the turtle was in a 200 gallon stock tank with an FX5 running as the filtration. I'm not an aquarium person, so I'm not up on the latest and greatest aquarium stuff, so what would be a good sump pump for a 180 gallon tank?
Thanks!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
A great submersable is the Laguna MaxFlo. Quiet, and not bad on power. The Jaebo DC powered pumps are great but lose a lot of flow with head.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
A great submersable is the Laguna MaxFlo. Quiet, and not bad on power. The Jaebo DC powered pumps are great but lose a lot of flow with head.
+1 I use the 2400 maxflo n I know the water splashing into sump is louder than the pump.
Hey have any fish with your FRT? Mine currently in a 120 gal with an eheim 2262 by himself. Got a pic or 2 to show Ur setup for the fellower? How big is he or she and its diet?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
my laguna 800 (sold as 900) is quiet. my laguna 1300 not so much. it likes to rattle, just a bit more than a hum. I can unplug it and lit it sit for a while, plug it back in and it's quiet, or it's not and it needs to sit longer. plugging it in and out repeatedly doesn't work. it can go for a few weeks to a few hours without a problem then
zzzzzzzzzz
get up, unplug it.
it does it vertical or horizontal.
I've taken it apart a few times, it's always clean.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
my laguna 800 (sold as 900) is quiet. my laguna 1300 not so much. it likes to rattle, just a bit more than a hum. I can unplug it and lit it sit for a while, plug it back in and it's quiet, or it's not and it needs to sit longer. plugging it in and out repeatedly doesn't work. it can go for a few weeks to a few hours without a problem then
zzzzzzzzzz
get up, unplug it.
it does it vertical or horizontal.
I've taken it apart a few times, it's always clean.
so when you take it apart it's always clean where the motor shaft is?? i have use my pump for about a year now and i haven't taken apart to clean it yet... sooner or later i will take it apart to clean out the motor and shaft...

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
If that Laguna is rattling you have a worn impeller.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
If that Laguna is rattling you have a worn impeller.
worn with no sign of wear? I didn't take a microscope to it, but visually I see no problems.
and if their impellers only have less than a 3 year lifespan. that's just sad, and doesn't explain the 800 which a few months older.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store