Info on stingrays?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Hi guys. I don't plan on owning any freshwater stingrays anytime soon since they're illegal in my state. But I'm just curious about them and have been researching them for a while and would like to hear from some of you stingray fanatics. I know that potamotrygon/paratrygon are from the Amazon river and that a majority of them get huge, 2-3 feet in diameter. So obviously a large tank is needed for a single specimen. Many are sensitive to poor water quality and they like soft water with a low PH....is there anything else?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Just read, read and read. After that read some more!!
There is too much to list, read the stickies.
But what i can tell you is you are wrong on low PH and soft water. It is all about stability. Keep the water the same ALLWAYS and your rays will thrive.
I have mine in PH 7+ and very hard water. All alive and well and breeding.

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
I haven't been keeping a stingray for long, but I've had my male hystrix now since March, and I agree with the above. Stable pH is what matters. Also, a male hystrix might get 12" in diameter. He is in a 150 gallon, where I plan to keep him for the forseeable future. Not every ray needs a super sized monster tank (unless you are going to keep multiples). From what I've learned on here, I believe mantilla males are similar in size needs as the hystrix males. There are a one or two others, though some may be more difficult for beginners than others.

-Rich

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I haven't been keeping a stingray for long, but I've had my male hystrix now since March, and I agree with the above. Stable pH is what matters. Also, a male hystrix might get 12" in diameter. He is in a 150 gallon, where I plan to keep him for the forseeable future. Not every ray needs a super sized monster tank (unless you are going to keep multiples). From what I've learned on here, I believe mantilla males are similar in size needs as the hystrix males. There are a one or two others, though some may be more difficult for beginners than others.

-Rich
Motoros are what catch my attention, they look quite nice. I personally wouldn't keep a stingray in anything less than a 200 gallon, though I know some rays like leopoldis will need larger tanks, even if they are slow growers.....I seriously dislike this ban in my state....though, there are some people I know that own/owned freshwater rays and piranhas. Usually they buy it when they're in a state that allows the sale of them and bring them here, pretty sure it's not allowed though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store