Where can I buy Retroculus Lapidifer?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Price doesn't matter....they look amazing and are very interesting cichlids with unique behavior....would love to have a group in my 240 gallon. But where can I purchase them? Never seen Rapps have them and I've seen one on Aquabid but was sold in a flash.....where else is there?

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
They come in periodically and are seasonal. Rapps had them in the past but I don't recall seeing them recently.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
They can start showing up as early as November when collection season starts for discus/angels, but last year they were available from several vendors sporadically from November - May. So I'd say we should see them popping up in a month or less. Mark @ Discus Origins tends to have them, so check out his sponsor section or email him and let him know you're interested.

John (snookn21) usually has them too.

A word of caution -- they do not ship well. A lot of people seem to lose them in shipping, or shortly after shipping. Have a tank with lots of flow ready if you order. It's the main reason I've held off buying them.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
They can start showing up as early as November when collection season starts for discus/angels, but last year they were available from several vendors sporadically from November - May. So I'd say we should see them popping up in a month or less. Mark @ Discus Origins tends to have them, so check out his sponsor section or email him and let him know you're interested.

John (snookn21) usually has them too.

A word of caution -- they do not ship well. A lot of people seem to lose them in shipping, or shortly after shipping. Have a tank with lots of flow ready if you order. It's the main reason I've held off buying them.
Thanks Ryan, I know that. The lapidifers are used to high oxygen in their water and often die in the bags. That's why they're so rare in the hobby....and by lots of flow.....how much do you mean? You mean decent surface tension level or 8 powerheads? I don't know I can exactly replicate the flow from where they come from (Around the Xingu drainage I believe) besides having alot of powerheads/canister filters.

wfex4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Cape Coral, Fl
I got two separate batches from discus origins and snookn21. One group died over the course of a few weeks, one by one. They started swimming slowly then wouldn't eat, then bloated and died, but this isn't very uncommon for juvenile of this species. The other group, I bought later in the season and they had been in quarantine for a while, and were the last ones left at the supplier.

Both however arrived healthy, acclimated well, and are quickly eating. It's just the luck of the draw with these guys, so don't feel cheated if you get some that don't make it. Both of the above are great places to get these guys when they come back in season.

wfex4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Cape Coral, Fl
As for water flow, I have two canisters and two powerheads in a 125. I think the key is having highly oxygenated water, not necessarily creating a tsunami in your tank.

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
What I found out and found out kind of late is acclimating them well. If not like stated before they will drop one by one. In my group of 7 my biggest is about 7" and smallest about 4" and 1 xingunesis.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I got two separate batches from discus origins and snookn21. One group died over the course of a few weeks, one by one. They started swimming slowly then wouldn't eat, then bloated and died, but this isn't very uncommon for juvenile of this species. The other group, I bought later in the season and they had been in quarantine for a while, and were the last ones left at the supplier.

Both however arrived healthy, acclimated well, and are quickly eating. It's just the luck of the draw with these guys, so don't feel cheated if you get some that don't make it. Both of the above are great places to get these guys when they come back in season.
Oh damn...so mortality rate is still high even after being acclimated? So they're basically the otocinclus of the cichlids....damn. Not only that, they're expensive! Better have alot of money on the side just in case....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store