Where do you guys plum you UVS?

mybluem3

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Prospect Heights,IL
Let's discuss the best spot to plumb a UV. Is it best lower flow for more contact? My returns are 3600gph each. Was thinking to tee one off and just recirc it back into the sump. Any input would be apreciated. And for those of you that don't already l know I got back into the hobby. Currently finalizing the newly acquired 600 gallon 😁👹

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You mean to run the water from the UV right back into the sump instead of into the aquarium?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Where's your reactor and how is it fed? Most using reactors plum into this loop....

I have mine within a couple feet of the return pumps on the way back to the tank.....

Don't get too caught up on flowrate, it doesn't make as much of a difference as people think. If you actually have enough power for the volume is the important part......

Contact kendragon - see if he'll crunch your numbers - that's the only way to know for sure if UV is doing what you want it to. Anything else is just a silly guess.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I just run mine through 2 UV units that is fed from a pump in the sump and the water returns to the sump. This allows a slow bypass of water through the UV units. Works for me but i know others run their return lines through the UV units, but this means shutting the whole tank down when it is time to change the bulbs over.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I like your way of thinking Jim, not interfering with the main flow on the setup every time you have to change bulbs, I'll remember to plumb my UVs this way when it's eventually time to do the filtration on my pond 😃

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
It saves having to shut the main pump or pumps down and the UV treated water is still going to get circulated back to the main tank anyway so no issues.

I like your way of thinking Jim, not interfering with the main flow on the setup every time you have to change bulbs, I'll remember to plumb my UVs this way when it's eventually time to do the filtration on my pond ��

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store