Possible aggression issues?

itsKRUDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys I've got 2 medium size bass (pet store hybrids) I've had for about 3 years now... Got them together when they were tiny... Could barely eat 2 guppies. Now they're decent size and I think I'm having aggression issues? Lately these past 2-3 weeks I'll come out and look at them (tank is in the garage - 8x2x2) and the smaller of the two will look kind of rough. Well today is the worst, he's really banged up. I have two males and the only other tank mate is a plecco. Are bass known to become aggressive towards each other? One is definitely larger and this is the smaller one. Now I don't have the glass on the top of the tank right now and it hasn't been for some time, I've noticed some mornings when I come out there's water splashed on the walls and ground. I don't know if maybe the bass is hitting the light fixture flailing around or if it's being bullied. If this is an aggression issue is there any known way to help mitigate it or is my only choice to get a second tank and separate them? Also, I never see any aggression during the day and I spend a lot of time in my garage. I only see the aftermath in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
When there's only two of them they will get aggressive and start banging eachother around. The best solution for this is to get another bass or more. They do better in groups and the aggression will go down rapidly

itsKRUDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
When there's only two of them they will get aggressive and start banging eachother around. The best solution for this is to get another bass or more. They do better in groups and the aggression will go down rapidly

Thanks for the response. This aggression only happens at night it appears. What would cause this? Any other fish that could be put into the tank to help diffuse the aggression or is the only choice more bass? I doubt I'll find any bass big enough to put in here locally and paying shipping prices on large bass can get expensive.

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
Your beyond dithers at this point with there size a 3 years. 2 is a very bad number with pbass, odd numbers are better, 5 is perfect. You may have to use a divider.

itsKRUDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Your beyond dithers at this point with there size a 3 years. 2 is a very bad number with pbass, odd numbers are better, 5 is perfect. You may have to use a divider.

Thanks for the input... That's what I was afraid of. Is it a territorial thing? I'll have to do some thinking tonight

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
Thanks for the input... That's what I was afraid of. Is it a territorial thing? I'll have to do some thinking tonight

It's kind a like being locked up in a one room apartment with one of your friends and you can never get out, you'd get kind of pissy too! ;) yes it's kind of a territory thing. You can move stuff around and rearrange but that only last so long.

itsKRUDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
It's kind a like being locked up in a one room apartment with one of your friends and you can never get out, you'd get kind of pissy too! ;) yes it's kind of a territory thing. You can move stuff around and rearrange but that only last so long.

Eh bare bottom empty tank... Divider or picking up another tank is probably my only choice at this point

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store