Raw sewage treated for municipal water supply with RO

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/drinking-from-the-toilet/

I read this in the magazine, so don't know if the web article is the same. San Diego is making 1,000,000 gallons of RO water per day and watering a golf course. Why, you ask? Because people are afraid to drink poop. Get ready for it California. It will happen at some point.
As far as we aquarium people go, how would you make it useable? Add chemicals and limestone to buffer?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I don't know what San Diego is griping about. Their water source is the Colorado river which receives 400 million gallons of recycled waste water a day.
For now, there is no need to supplement the water used in water changes since the recycled wastewater will not be a direct feed into municiple supply lines. The water will, instead, be mixed into reservoir and/or river sources.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
That's right Oddball. The Mississippi river has been used 5 times by the time it reaches the gulf. Nearly all of our water is reused. It is just the publics perception of where it came from. I read somewhere that every glass of water we drink has a molecule of dinosaur urine in it. Wrap your head around that!

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I read somewhere that every glass of water we drink has a molecule of dinosaur urine in it. Wrap your head around that!
I feel that's one of those quotes that is sort of maybe true, but totally made up with no scientific backing at all.

But yea. We drink sewage every day.

Who else loves the movie Tank Girl??? A not so far off future with no water, they kill people and shove this device into them to suck out fresh water from their bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store