My tap water

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
If I fill a container with tap water from my house and let it sit a white film begins to form on top of the water over time what does that mean?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I assume that this happens in every container, even brand new ones and that it's odorless.

By white film, do you you mean "oily white film" over the surface of the water? Or do you mean along the edge of the glass, but not the surface? Hard water can sometimes leave a residue if allowed to dry along the edge.

Beyond the obvious, it means your water needs to be tested so you know what's causing that. That's not "just" water. Call the water company and ask them what that is and either they will know or they will want it tested.

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
I used different containers and they were all clean I used glass and plastic I sat in the window sill and the whole top of the container is covered in a white film it looks oily at first but then it becomes basically solid, it only forms when I set the container out not if I put the container in the refrigerator

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
that sounds unhealthy. sounds like a sodium content or perhaps calcium. I am however no expert. May want to see if your neighbors water does this as well. Could be your pipes not your water.

Also do you have any kind of house filter? could need changed.

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Dust or some kind of airborne contaminant? Are the containers you set on the sill covered?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If its town water, try contacting the water dept.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store