How many 5" Dats for 60 gallon grow out

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
I have a 60 gallon currently cycling. Filtration is a 45 gallon sump with a filter sock and a ton of pond matrix and ceramic rings. I'll also be adding pothos to the sump after it's cycled. I also have two power heads and a couple of air stones in the tank for circulation.

Anyway I'm trying to decide what to stock it with and am leaning towards dats. I've always wanted to my hand at them. How many 5 inchers could i get away with in the 60 with just dats and no other kinds fish? I've heard dats grow slow so about how long will they last in the 60? Of course I have plans on upgrading when the time comes but wont be able to for a about year (made an agreement with the wife lol). Also not sure if I should set up rock caves or what not. I read young ones tend to be shy so maybe just sand and no decor?

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
I want to start with around 5" because I heard they grow slow. I will be able to upgrade in a year. I want the most growth out of them as possible so I plan on power feeding and many water changes if not a daily auto water change. I want enough so that they will compete with each other for food. I don't mind getting more than I will end up keeping I just don't want the 60 gallon to be boring with a lot of empty space. So if you had a 60 gallon for a year how many would you put in there? I was thinking 5 or 6? Can I do more? Should I do less? I want to get a bunch and end up keeping the biggest and or most stable ones in a year or so.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
i think at 5 inches 5 will be tight but that is me. Sure, it is doable but i wouldn't. I would say 2-3 but then you might get agro issues.

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
Go with 5 to be safe. Any less will definitely lead to a lot of fighting. I've had that experience with 3 ST's all in the 9-14" range housed in a 300g. Still had a lot of fighting, so I added 5 indo datnoids, then the ST's picked on the indos LOL

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
i think at 5 inches 5 will be tight but that is me. Sure, it is doable but i wouldn't. I would say 2-3 but then you might get agro issues.
Yea i think with 2 or 3 there will be too much fighting. 5 may be tight but I'm upgrading for sure in a year at most. I have a 180 at my parents house just sitting. I hope to buy an even bigger tank though because I will want to upgrade that 180 in no time. Should have never sold my bigger tanks. Thought I could leave the hobby but I was just fooling myself haha.

how much would you expect them to grow in a year? Let's assume I get them pellet trained and do water changes every 3 days. I'm really considering a constant drip system I just need to figure out where to plump the drain.

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
Tank still cycling. I'm on vacation at the moment though so nobody to dose with amonia. Hope some bacteria still survive. I'll update when I finally get some.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I currently have three nice indos growing out in a tank that is about that size and there are very few squabbles but they pretty much keep to their own little zones in the tank.They will kind of sit together in a close group sometimes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store