bitten female.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
so i was feeding the other day and i noticed my male showing interest in a female chasing her round the tank didnt think much of it untill i saw a chunk out of her disc.

i noticed her stinger has lost the protein sheath to about an inch and sure enough when i checked the male he has a penetration mark a few mm's wide just missing his abdomen ! very small and looks deep. probably wouldnt have noticed it if i hadnt noticed the females stinger.

he seems happy enough though.

here is a pic of the female. shes under 12" and the male is bigger so im not sure if he will be able to get the job done just because of the difference in size but i guess we will see.

s.IMG_2844.jpg

s.IMG_2844.jpg

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
picture of the male. can hardly tell hes wounded but it looks deep when you get close.

there are two puncture wounds. one close to the abdomen and one a little further away.
judging form the marks on the females stinger it was very deep and it does look deep and quite bad. a little more to one side and it would deffinately be a life threatening problem.
however, hes still chasing the female round the tank even after feeding though so i guess hes not fussed.

s.IMG_2875.jpg

s.IMG_2875.jpg

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Good luck mate, hopefully he has done the deed.
My male was stung in the exact same area. Couple of weeks later and the female was preggo.
Thats a lovely pair of marbles by the way!

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
thanks jim.
its not his first time so its possible. only thing is that hes bigger than the female so its going to be physically difficult for him.
i wont conplain if he pulled it off though !

thanks again and good luck with yours !

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Gorgeous marbles. I wouldn't worry about the wounds. Hope you have pups coming...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store