Large Custom Build

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
All,

So I am finishing my basement and have permission from the wife to build a custom tank. This tank is likely to be a Corner Hexagon tank and will be about 270 gallons, if my calculations are correct. The main view pain will be about 30 inches wide and the two side panes will be about 20 inches wide. The tank will be 36inch's tall.

The idea was born by the requirement to cover up my sump pump in my basement during the refinish project. So the stand the tank will sit on is built around my sump pump for the house. This is also the corner that my water line access for the house exists. So having simple access to fresh water as well as easy access to remove the waste water (via the house sump pump) I intend to build in a drip system allowing for constant fresh water.

The tank will be made of Plywood and Fiberglass, sealed with Liquid rubber and the viewing panes will be Glass. Again volume wise I should be around 270 gallons, so I am looking at different Filtration options. I am leaning toward building a sump under the tank and incorporating my drip system with the sump.

I would really like to get your guys opinions on what you would / would not do. Ideas on filtration. Styles and media, designs. Also have not decided what I am going to put in the tank yet, suggestions on species to keep in such a tank would be welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for the help. I look forward to hearing your guys ideas.

Thanks,
Jeremy

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Sure thing Muttley - I also logging this on GCAS forum as well. I am currently trying to decide between triangle and a traditional rectangle. The beginning of the hex base that was built will be torn out regardless. You can see pics of the space I have to use at the link below. Really would like to hear from as many experienced folks as possible. Although I have done a great deal of research, and more to go ...This is a first for me.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag231/j_blanton/341_zps55d8ce2d.jpg

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Ok guys - a few decisions have been made - We are going with a rectangle traditional shaped tank going down the long wall from the sump corner to just left of the window. This tank will measure 93 inches long by 48 inches wide and be 30 inches tall. There will be glass in the front and on the left side for viewing. My calculations put this tank at just below 600 Gallons. A few advantages these dimensions give me are, a large surface/bottom area - which is necessary for the Arrowana / Ray combination that I have decided on. As well as the bottom of the tank being a solid piece(s) of wood with no seams.

I am approximately 2 - 3 weeks away from beginning construction on the Stand / Base - As I will complete the basement painting first.
Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I really like how you was building that stand into the wall, looks like it was going to be a nice one.. But now I am much more happy to see you decided to go bigger with it!! The way I see it is if you are going to do all that work you may as well build it as BIG as possible!!

I also love to see my fellow Ohio homies building big tanks, I am working on a 12' x 4' x 4' tank myself right now that will be about 1,440 gallons with a 8' x 3' viewing window... Keep up the good work and keep us updated on it!!!

j_blanton

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Hey guys - Quick updated. I decided to start the build this weekend, at least the base portion anyway. So I began demolition on the corner hex sump pump cover job, and began the base build.
I am going with a 2X6 base doubled for the floor and outside headers. This will sit on a total of 8 4ft , 4x4 posts. The base will also be lag bolted to the two outside walls, you can see the first plate of the long header in the pic.
I also realized today - Not sure how I missed this...that I have a drain next to my sump pump, I will be leveraging this for the over flow during the water change system...(more to come).
I will be working on the base again tomorrow. I will try to post the updated photos tomorrow night. Any thoughts or suggestions let me know.
Thanks for following along.
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/j_blanton/library/

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
All made good progress on the base this weekend..some pics

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I hope you are not done with that?? Now you need to build that same frame for the bottom as you have on the top, then run some 2x4 that fit tight between the top and bottom frames and screw them to the 4x4's... That way the 2x4 holds the weight of the tank and not just the screws into the wood of that top frame... Look at the diy stands most everyone does it this way!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store