algae eater

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Is there a algea eater that won't suck the slime off of my Gar and at least 5 inches long?

I've put a few different ones in with the GARfield and guess what? Yup they all disappeared LOL.

I don't want a pleco that will suck the slime off of him.

I've tried some of those Chinese ones that max at 10 inches but they never made it a week before they were a snack. I have 4 growing out now but they grow slow.

Thanks in advance.
Rich

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Chinese algae wont reach 10" in captivity more like 6-7". They will still suck on you gar as of all algae eater they are worst than plecos. I have a black shark with my gars and bichirs and they do fine. Just never starve the black shark though as it will turn on the gar.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Black shark eats algae?

Thanks
Rich
You had the right idea before of killing algae through solving the problem on the cause. In my planted tanks I never kept algae eaters, just do weekly water changes, adjust lighting, and add a lot of plants. Good luck. Flag tail prochilodus is a fish you may want to try. Get a larger one

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
In my experience with several CAE golden and regular none of them sucked on anything not even a goldfish there famous for removing the slime coat off of. But they only attack algae vigorously when under 4 inches after that its half left over food and half algae.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Thanks guys.
I had put two of the CAE's in there and they were decimating what little algae there was. but like all small shiny things GARfield ate them after about a week.

They were in there just to keep what little there was down.
If I can growout the other 4 CAE's I have in other tanks I'll toss one in right now the magic number is 5 inches anything smaller and GARfield looks at it like a twinkie.

I consider them engineers like the comet GF I have in there. he goes around and makes sure all the sand is nice and level after I vac. the bottom.
I just want a sidewalk sweeper to go with the landscaper. LOL

Rich

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
They should grow quickly about an inch every three weeks is the usual I see with them until about five inches then their growth rate seems to decline

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Threads over 2 months old but I thought I would add my experience. I had 2 Chinese algae eaters that DID reach 10 inches each. They became very lazy and stopped eating algae. I also caught them sucking on plecos bigger then them which led me to getting rid of them. LFS couldn't believe how big they were.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store