Normal nerite snail behavior?

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
With me spending my time setting up my new 120g, I haven't been as attentive to the 10g and I started to develop an algae problem. A nerite snail seemed like the easy answer to get things under control as I have heard they are very proficient algae eaters. The tank is established and cycled. However, whenever the light is on, the snail heads straight to the top lip of the tank and doesnt move...ever. The only times I have caught it out and about are at night or early in the morning. However I have seen many videos online of them active in the light. Is this normal behavior? Needless to say, I have not noticed any reduction in the algae levels in the tank, nor have I ever seen the snail leave the glass sides. The snail has been in the tank for about a week and a half.

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
I believe its a black zebra nerite. It still hasn't left the walls...maybe they just prefer glass to gravel?

I picked up a mystery snail last night and it is already roaming around.

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
I recently moved my nerite into my 120g system with overflows. The snail was on the top of a driftwood in the center of my tank and hadn't moved more than a few inches in a week. Recognizing that in my 10g, the snail hung out at the top of the rack, I moved it to the edge of the glass thinking it may be unable to find the surface. Today I found it on my return plumbing right under my 4xT5HO fixture. Should I move it back or will it crawl back on its own before it dries out?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1418593049.272099.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store