Setting up canister filter

Lori C

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2014
United States
I'm looking for some advice. I bought a 46 gallon aquarium (used) and it came with a canister filter. It's an Eheim 2217. I've been reading and looking at picture instructions but not finding the answers I need. Hoping someone here can help.
I apologize in advance for my lack of correct terminology. The canister has the following in it: top and bottom plates with legs, a jumble of white plastic stringy ribbons, a blue filter pad, and a couple mesh tie-bags filled with something i'm not sure of. Do those white ribbons perform same duties as those little ceramic round pieces that i've seen on all the videos...filter media? Do those mesh bags hold the biomedia? There was no white pad...I need to have that, right? Even though I saw a carbon filter for this canister filter, I don't need one?

I currently have a 20 gallon tank with a filter that hangs off the side, so i'm in for a steep learning curve with this one I think. Even using the terms i've learned in my research today are making this more confusing for me.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Hi Lori, Sounds like you have a lot of new information to learn very quickly. The stringy plastic stuff is media for your bio cultures to live on. The foam helps clean particles from the water and will also have bio cultures in it. The mesh bags will have things like charcoal (black) or other medias to reduce phosphates, ammonia, etc. If this was from a running full tank, it is important to keep those bio cultures alive and have the filter running as soon as you can. They will die of quickly and you will have to start cycling the tank from scratch. If the tank has been empty for more than a day, you may need to start over anyway. More than a week defiantly start the cycle over with clean media. The cultures that lived in there are dead and the decaying culture will be poison to the tank.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Do research on the nitrogen cycle and cycling a tank/filter. Very basically, fish produce ammonia. The first family of bacteria (Bio) eat ammonia and produces nitrite, (poison in high levels). The next group eats Nitrite, and produce Nitrate (less poisonous). Nitrate is then either used by plants or slowly vapors off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store